Routing the Clutch Cable through a KZ

More
25 Dec 2013 13:49 - 25 Dec 2013 13:50 #616393 by TheDude
Routing the Clutch Cable through a KZ was created by TheDude
I've routed my cable properly from the engine to the handlebars so far.
I've tried many different routes and like to know what others have done and works for them.
I've circled two positions I've tried below...

[IMG

Position 1 is a nice clean fit and doesn't tighten when I turn right or left. The only problem is my cable is too long for this position.

Position 2 is a tight fit and gets even tighter when I turn to the right; so much that the lever doesn't budge. Also, the cable then has to go underneath the key ignition which I do not like.

What has worked for you all in the past?

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 A3
Last edit: 25 Dec 2013 13:50 by TheDude.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Dec 2013 20:47 #616407 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic Routing the Clutch Cable through a KZ
You're probably just going to have to get a shorter cable. But you could try position 1, then cross the cable over to to the right fork, secure it there and cross back to the left.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
26 Dec 2013 00:03 #616412 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Routing the Clutch Cable through a KZ
How would I secure the cable to the right fork?

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 A3

More
26 Dec 2013 05:19 #616419 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic Routing the Clutch Cable through a KZ
Now that I think about it, I said the right fork tube, but that's not right. Use the right frame tube. Then back to the left frame tube. Putting it on the fork will mean it has to move when you turn the bike or when the forks compress. That won't work. A zip tie on the frame tube should do the trick. (I'll try not to post at midnight next time)

A while back I accidentally bought a clutch cable that was just an inch or two too long and had to route the cable this way. I'd meant to just do it temporarily while I waited for the proper cable to ship. Then promptly forgot about it. You're reminding me I really should get the proper clutch cable.

This will probably only work if the cable is just a tad too long. Be careful not to pinch it or make any drastic bends.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
26 Dec 2013 16:10 #616469 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic Routing the Clutch Cable through a KZ

TheDude wrote: I've routed my cable properly from the engine to the handlebars so far.
I've tried many different routes and like to know what others have done and works for them.
I've circled two positions I've tried below...

Position 1 is a nice clean fit and doesn't tighten when I turn right or left. The only problem is my cable is too long for this position.

Position 2 is a tight fit and gets even tighter when I turn to the right; so much that the lever doesn't budge. Also, the cable then has to go underneath the key ignition which I do not like.

What has worked for you all in the past?

First off if bike has low bars switch to Z1R clutch cable and by the look of pictures you cable is improperly adjusted.

1984 750 Turbo

More
27 Dec 2013 11:32 #616522 by TheDude
Man! I'm having trouble with the clutch cable and that's a whole'nother threads on it's own. Link

Here is a picture of the handlebars from a distant.
I've tried the Motion Pro 03-0030 clutch cable and that's still a tad long (3-5 inches too long for it to be housed through position 1 ).
Any recommendations on a better fitting clutch cable yo might have used?

[IMG

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 A3

More
30 Dec 2013 22:54 - 30 Dec 2013 22:54 #616824 by TheDude
I positioned the clutch cable through position #1 and it worked great.
I was improperly installing the clutch cable, which led to many headaches. :dry:

Thanks for the inputs.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 A3
Last edit: 30 Dec 2013 22:54 by TheDude.

More
31 Dec 2013 06:25 #616835 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Routing the Clutch Cable through a KZ
Cool. Are there any frame clips/clamps? The cable diagram shows 2 of them which help to keep the cable in place & away from the exhaust pipes.