1980 Z1R Recently Purchased

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
23 Dec 2013 07:31 - 23 Dec 2013 07:34 #616208 by DOHC
Replied by DOHC on topic 1980 Z1R Recently Purchased

saxjonz wrote: kz100ae071772 anyone have any idea which kz this would have come from?

It looks like the engine is from a 78 KZ1000 A2A or B2 (LTD), based on this page.

www.zedder.com/msg1.htm#Kawasak

That engine would be identical to the 78 Z1R engine other that the black case paint.

saxjonz wrote: ...the serial number on the title is not the correct numbers for that bike and I can't find the serial on the frame.

That's terrible! Is there any chance that the serial number stamped into the stearing head has been filled in with paint or powder coat? Sometimes that goes on so thick you can't see the the engraving any more. What is the first half of the serial number shown on the title? Does it say KZT00D?

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
Last edit: 23 Dec 2013 07:34 by DOHC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: saxjonz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
More
23 Dec 2013 07:53 #616212 by DOHC

saxjonz wrote: I pray this bike isn't hot.

While that's always possible, I was thinking that it's much more likely that your bike was just assembled from a few different parts bikes, which happens a lot... Or it could be that the original frame was damaged and replaced.

However, I believe you do need to find the frame number on the head tube to make it legitimate.

On the other hand I've seen frames with state issued stickers on them like you would get if you scratch built a frame and wanted to regisister it. This process sounds complicated but probably not impossible.

My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

• saxjonz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KawboyZ
More
23 Dec 2013 13:59 #616244 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic 1980 Z1R Recently Purchased
Well, it is as explained later. The bike was probably issued a generic title number for Indiana and I am not worried. The guy owns a dealership of used cars and has his name on title and other things to make his story legitimate. I am fairly certain that it is as described. It has some really nice pieces on it as well. The lockhart oil cooler and the smoothbores along with a brand new vance pipe makes it easy to remove that stuff and resell later to recoup original investment if I am not happy with it. I just would have liked to have an original title so people wouldn't have any issues if and when I do decide to sell.
I will have to be really impressed with this bike to leave my kz that I have spent years and much blood sweat and tears over to make me spend more money to restore this one as I did the LTD. AT least I have a DD that I can ride around that is quite unique. When the spring hits is when I will be able to know if my money was well spent or not. Besides, I have a line on a totally stock nonfunctiong Z1r from Canada. If the guy hasn't sold by spring I will drive up with my bike in tow and do a little sightseeing and purchasing at the same time. It's all good either way.
That bike is an original looking z1r that just needs everything gone over but all the major parts are there from the pictures it looks at least.

0Z.Z1R Mk2 wrote:

saxjonz wrote: Well, at any rate, I got the old girl home. Thinking of perhaps riding her a bit and seeing what she rides like. Guess I may pass it down the road as the serial number on the title is not the correct numbers for that bike and I can't find the serial on the frame. I pray this bike isn't hot. If it is I guess there will be a bit of drama coming my way.

That sucks big time dude.... :huh:
Did you not check these things before you purchased it?

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

• saxjonz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KawboyZ
More
23 Dec 2013 14:05 #616245 by saxjonz
Not at all, it just has numbers. I brought this up to the owner of the shop and he told me that they took it to the DMV and got it titled. I assume that this is accurate and if there are any issues I will have witnesses to the fact that I did indeed purchase bike legally and that it was from this guy. I assume the numbers will be in the exact spot as the LTD's? I say this because it's Ma Kaw. It just makes sense that it would be. If not I will be looking for another Z1r. I want not to be hassled by Johnny Law when I take long distance trips to say Canada or California. Or even abroad like Australia. It is, after all, one of my goals to ride in the land that worships the almighty Z's.

dohc wrote:

saxjonz wrote: kz100ae071772 anyone have any idea which kz this would have come from?

It looks like the engine is from a 78 KZ1000 A2A or B2 (LTD), based on this page.

www.zedder.com/msg1.htm#Kawasak

That engine would be identical to the 78 Z1R engine other that the black case paint.

saxjonz wrote: ...the serial number on the title is not the correct numbers for that bike and I can't find the serial on the frame.

That's terrible! Is there any chance that the serial number stamped into the stearing head has been filled in with paint or powder coat? Sometimes that goes on so thick you can't see the the engraving any more. What is the first half of the serial number shown on the title? Does it say KZT00D?

79 LTD B3

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
More
23 Dec 2013 17:40 #616272 by Bozo
Replied by Bozo on topic 1980 Z1R Recently Purchased
In Australia we have to have a compliance plate which is riveted to the headstem. Without it the vehicle can't registered, this plate has the year of manufacture VIN number etc.
I suppose next the polly's will make us wear dog collars with a certain bell :laugh: :laugh:

First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, 1983 fully recon motor fitted LOVE THIS BIKE
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as FJ above)

• saxjonz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KawboyZ
More
29 Dec 2013 23:06 #616694 by saxjonz
Well, I found out that the bike has been re-titled in Indiana, the title numbers are stamped in to the frame and it's legal so I guess it's cool with me. So, I am gonna title her and ride it like a red-headed step-child. I found another in Canada that looks original and perhaps I will grab it too since these are rare birds. I just need one thing....riding weather.

79 LTD B3

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
More
10 Sep 2014 13:03 #647041 by DOHC
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHey Saxjonz, I thought I'd mention that I noticed a 1980 Z1R wiring harness is posted on Ebay, just in case you're looking.

I think these are pretty rare. I know you had some electrical issues, and it seems like our previous fuse box discussion suggested your bike used an '80 D3 harness.

My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

• saxjonz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KawboyZ
More
11 Sep 2014 18:53 #647181 by saxjonz
Thanks, I just needed a fusebox. I took it off of my old 79 and plugged her in. I am going to order the blad type fuse box and wire it up. Those fuses are not too easy to find and tend to burn out unexpectedly at times.

79 LTD B3

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
More
11 Sep 2014 19:16 #647184 by DOHC

saxjonz wrote: Thanks, I just needed a fusebox. I took it off of my old 79 and plugged her in. I am going to order the blad type fuse box and wire it up. Those fuses are not too easy to find and tend to burn out unexpectedly at times.

That's the kind of thing I would try to snatch up as a spare, since I rarely see the D3 harness. Of course that way of thinking explains why I have something like 20+ plastic tubs in my basement filled with Z1R parts... :pinch:

My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

• saxjonz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KawboyZ
More
12 Sep 2014 11:39 #647267 by saxjonz
Yep, I have a touch of the hoarders symptoms myself.
I was actually thinking of learning how to do the wiring so that I could make my own harnesses. The tools are not crazy expensive and it would get me involved just a bit more with my bikes.

79 LTD B3