Kz650 chain frame/700shaft motor-is it this simple

More
09 Dec 2013 16:50 - 09 Dec 2013 17:00 #615137 by jesiman
So I have done some searching, and the conclusion that I came to is this is possible.

I have a kz650 frame. I read that the 700 and 750 motors drop in no problemo. But.....the motor I picked up is shaft drive. Is it as simple as removing the shaft setup, picking up a sprocket and sprocket cover, and bolting it all in?

Off topic question. PO had the carbs off (it does turn over), and said that he pulled them to rebuild one because it was completely dry when he tried to run it. Said he sprayed some starting fluid in there and it ran alot better audibly. So do I need to rebuild the 1 carb, or do I NEED to rebuild all of the carbs? This is a budget build mind you.

79 KZ650 SR
84 ZN700 donor
81 KZ440......no title....
Last edit: 09 Dec 2013 17:00 by jesiman. Reason: edited for correctedness

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2013 20:04 - 09 Dec 2013 20:06 #615149 by steell
The answer to your prayers is the parts diagrams at kawasaki.com. Instructions to getting there are around here somewhere, I'm not good at explaining it. You can compare part numbers and even see how parts fit together. Even tell you if that part is still available. Compare the output shafts and see if they are the same.

Edit: Just remembered that Ron Ayers and Bike Bandit both have illustrated parts diagrams, that may be easier.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 09 Dec 2013 20:06 by steell.

More
09 Dec 2013 20:35 #615159 by martin_csr
Whenever a shaft drive to chain drive conversion comes up, the general answer seems to be that it is more work than it's worth. I could be wrong, but I think the output shafts are different, so you can't just slap a sprocket on.

More
10 Dec 2013 10:57 #615197 by jesiman
Yeah, I'll pull the diagrams for the 700 today and see if I can decipher it.

Seemed like the few threads I saw that people were doing a similar conversion, they were wanting to put the shaft drive setup on a chain frame that didn't quite clear it. I'm wanting to just have the entire motor minus the shaft. I'll get it running first and verify that I have a functioning motor. Verify compression. Then tear it down.

Any pointers on the carbs? Rebuild just the one that is definitely bad, or rebuild them all?

79 KZ650 SR
84 ZN700 donor
81 KZ440......no title....