replaced stator cover gasket, now bike won't shift

More
27 Nov 2013 20:22 #614267 by SeabeeDan
I noticed that my 81 kz305 was leaking oil from the stator cover after a ride, so like any good much I thought I'd better fix this. So I popped the cover off pretty easily and applied an RTV gasket then put everything back just the way I found it. after letting that dry over night I was eager to crank it up and see if it still leaked. the bike wouldn't start. my friend and I attempted to push start it, and that's when I realized it would not shift into second, only first and neutral. after push starting it didn't work, I attempted to jump it off my truck (ignition off of course) that failed too. I then decided to look into why it wasn't shifting. I noticed that the cover just behind the stator cover wasn't seated all the way. a rubber mallet fixed that. Bolted it back down and tried to shift again. Still no second gear, and it appears that the clutch isn't engaging very securely in first because I can roll the bike in gear. I've been racking my brain with where I screwed up and I just can't pin point it. if anyone has any ideas, I'm really looking forward to hearing some suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2013 20:40 #614268 by Patton

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: SeabeeDan

More
27 Nov 2013 21:52 #614269 by SeabeeDan
Thank you! I'll have to thumb through those tech manuals.

More
28 Nov 2013 06:27 #614275 by 650ed
Your bike's transmission has a lockout mechanism that prevents it from being upshifted when the engine is not running. As long as you can shift between 1st gear and neutral with the engine shut off the transmission is operating correctly. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
28 Nov 2013 07:49 - 28 Nov 2013 09:43 #614278 by Patton

650ed wrote: Your bike's transmission has a lockout mechanism that prevents it from being upshifted when the engine is not running. As long as you can shift between 1st gear and neutral with the engine shut off the transmission is operating correctly. Ed

Am thinking the shift lockout mechanism also functions to disallow shifting above neutral unless the rear wheel is turning forward, which may be done by hand with bike on center-stand or rear wheel otherwise lifted off the floor.

Would perform the clutch push rod adjustment, which often resolves a slipping clutch.

Details are covered in the service manual, but the gist of it is to first assure slack in the clutch cable at the handlebar lever. Then remove the small cover plate near the shift lever to access the adjustment. Loosen the lock-nut. Turn the screw in until lightly seated. Back the screw out 1/2 turn. Tighten the lock-nut. Replace the cover plate. Adjust cable slack at the handlebar lever.

On some models the adjustment screw turns clockwise to seat. But on others it turns counter-clockwise to seat. So if the first adjustment effort is unsuccessful, try it again by reversing which way the screw is turned to seat.

Also, take a look at the diagrams in kawasaki.com where there's a lot of good info, including parts diagrams, part names, part numbers, models sharing same part, availability, etc. Here's a link for help with navigating the site and finding information.

www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/37...imitstart=0&start=20

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 28 Nov 2013 09:43 by Patton.

More
28 Nov 2013 11:52 #614301 by SeabeeDan
I'll try adjusting the clutch first. But there's still the starting issue. I had installed a brand new battery and it started right up. Then after sitting a few days while working on the stator cover something happened with the starting system. charging didn't work and I couldn't push start it. Any ideas? Thanks again for everything guys, happy thanksgiving!

More
28 Nov 2013 18:59 - 28 Nov 2013 19:00 #614331 by DesertKZ
I replaced that rubber plug with a new one a year or so ago due to a leak. I also threaded new wires through the holes with heat shrink on them to better fill the holes up. A few strands of wire had somehow managed to work their way loose and ground out on the stator cover, resulting in no power/starting. I'd start looking right inside the cover, something is grounding out now.

Edit: Just noticed you had a 305, not sure if you have the rubber plug/wires coming out the stator like the bigger bikes.

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker
Last edit: 28 Nov 2013 19:00 by DesertKZ.

More
30 Nov 2013 13:16 #614479 by SeabeeDan
Thanks for all the help everyone! I used the manuals and figured out how to adjust the clutch, and that's working as it should. And I inspected the wires coming from the stator and they were fine. so now I'm going to monkey with the carbs and try to get her to fire up.

More
20 Dec 2013 01:32 #615964 by ZERO
Did you remove and replace the shifter? Is it back in it's correct location?

Only Kawasakis have a soul 1977 Kawi KZ1000 special 2000 Kawi ZRX1100

More
20 Dec 2013 08:48 #615992 by Patton
When d1agnosing a possible spark/ignition issue, it's helpful to recall that the charging system components (stator, rectifier, regulator) are basically irrelevant, because the engine should perform just fine for quite a long time (several hours) with a good fully charged battery and no charging system whatever. Running with the headlight turned on will draw down the battery faster.

The ignition draws from the battery, and cares only that the battery is charged.
The charging system functions to keep the battery charged.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD