what service points to adress

More
23 Nov 2013 16:56 #613938 by e.dishong2
what service points to adress was created by e.dishong2
Short version, Bought a 1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre, Bike sat for 10+ years without running. The bike was untouched, and everything was original, all the way down to the break in caution sticker on the RPM gauge. I got the bike running the next day I had it.
Note: Im pretty good with a wrench, but I am new to bikes.

Things I have bought:
Rebuilt carb "Cheaper then rebuilding my current one"
Master cylinder rebuild kit
Air Filters
Oil filter
Fuel filter
Fuel lines
Vacuum plugs

Questions:
What after market speedometer can I get for fairly cheap that will work on my bike?
What adjustments should I make to the new carb I got?
What fluids, bushings, etc should I look over and replace, from sitting so long?
What shop manual should I get, and were to find it?

Any other advice would be great! This site is awesome, it has help me a great deal. Thanks for all the help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2013 19:42 #613950 by JR
Replied by JR on topic what service points to adress
Hi e.dishong2 and welcome to the site.

Questions:
What after market speedometer can I get for fairly cheap that will work on my bike?
Sorry. Cant help with that one. Perhaps someone else can

What adjustments should I make to the new carb I got?
You use the word "carb" as in singular or one carb. The 83 spectre would have come with a rack of 4 carbs. If you have a rebuilt set then you would need to make sure they are least jetted for a Spectre and any further changes you make will depend on if you exhaust is not original or if you are using single pod air filters or the stock airbox.

What fluids, bushings, etc should I look over and replace, from sitting so long?
You should change the oil the brake fluid front and rear and rinse out the gas tank and if not rusty fill with fresh gas. Lube the cables.
You should check wheels for free play (bearings). Check swingarm for free play (bushings). Check chain and sprockets and generally give the bike a thorough going over. One or both of the manuals suggested should give you list of things to do.
What shop manual should I get, and were to find it?
You can download a manual here
mbsween.bike-night.com/kz750l3/manual.html
It probably wont be exact for the Spectre but most items will be ok for .you. Check it out to see if it has a supplement for the Spectre. You will need this for the carb jetting. See if there is a section in it for routine maintenance. I also find that the Haynes is useful.

How about pictures ?

Good Luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
23 Nov 2013 21:40 #613959 by e.dishong2
Replied by e.dishong2 on topic what service points to adress
Sorry for the horrible grammar/description. When i said "carb" i was referring to the complete rack. The complete rack i bought, is off of the same type of bike, and matches my carb exact. Im using pods for my air filters. the exhaust is also factory along with everything else, besides the air pods i will be putting on it. Ill post some picture now, and Ill post the whole project too when it is complete.
Attachments:

More
24 Nov 2013 08:46 #613979 by JR
Replied by JR on topic what service points to adress
Cool bike. Looks to be in pretty good condition. Shaft drive - you may need to change out any fluid in the final drive or at least do whatever service is recommended in the manual.

If you still have the air box don't throw it out yet. You will need to re jet the carbs for the pods and unfortunately I can't help you with that. Your carbs are probably mikuni and you will need to increase the jet size and maybe swap out the needle jet for one with a different shape or taper. See if you can get a "Dynojet" kit for this.

Good luck.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
25 Nov 2013 07:16 #614048 by bemoore
Replied by bemoore on topic what service points to adress
If you have the stock airbox, I recommend going back to it. It will smooth out the air flowing into the carbs, and will result in a smoother running engine, unless you plan on doing lots of tuning. I tried pods for a while, but then went back to my airbox.

As for fluids, replace them all. After 10 yrs, every fluid will need replacing. You can't replace the oil in the rear shocks, but every other fluid should be serviceable.

77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1