77 kz1000 head gasket seeping oil / leaking

More
22 Oct 2013 17:42 - 22 Oct 2013 17:43 #610858 by 3course
Ive been away too long..

My 77 KZ1000 has started to seep from the center of the cylinder head ( o ring country).

I rebuilt the top end about 7k miles ago. Cyl. and head were milled and surfaced. Rebuilt with new Kawasaki head gaskets and o ring. Wondering if any of you have dealt with this problem and if there is any good solution. Guys at Z1 said they sell a lot of the one piece head gaskets and you just fill in the groove with hondabond or jb weld. Anything like that? Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks
Last edit: 22 Oct 2013 17:43 by 3course.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2013 20:41 #610876 by 3course
Replied by 3course on topic 77 kz1000 head gasket seeping oil / leaking
Maybe a little more info would help. Cylinder studs have been re tourqed twice. Had the cylinder and cylinder head milled at Zabors here in Austin. He advised that he couldnt really mill any more off. (There wer some deep pits in the head gasket surface on the cylinder head so he milled as much as he could without me ending up with a valve through a piston)

I have cleaned and powdered the area, confirmed it is leaking from the cylinder rubber gasket (o ring in the center between the two head gaskets). Have any of you had this problem? Could the o ring have mushroomed and split because of the additional machine shop work?

If it counts for anything, I work on motorbikes for a living and haven't ever had a new head gasket start seeping on me after a top end. Figures it would happen on my bike. ha.

Again any advice or actually any response at all would be appreciated.

More
26 Oct 2013 18:52 #611258 by KZ Sam
Replied by KZ Sam on topic 77 kz1000 head gasket seeping oil / leaking
Stock studs?

More
26 Oct 2013 19:24 #611262 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic 77 kz1000 head gasket seeping oil / leaking
ONCE...i ran into a leak that was caused by the head alignment "pins" at the end of the head. After milling head, those pins were too tall and basically leveraged the head up just enough to keep the gasket from getting a good seal. Took those pins out and shortened them and it sealed. Wierd and I've never ran into it again, but it took awhile to figure it out.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
26 Oct 2013 20:48 #611274 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic 77 kz1000 head gasket seeping oil / leaking

racer54 wrote: ONCE...i ran into a leak that was caused by the head alignment "pins" at the end of the head. After milling head, those pins were too tall and basically leveraged the head up just enough to keep the gasket from getting a good seal. Took those pins out and shortened them and it sealed. Wierd and I've never ran into it again, but it took awhile to figure it out.

_______________________________________________________________________________________-

now that is one that would drive you crazy and would you ever figure it out. Awesome observation !!!