Pitted cam caps?

More
15 Oct 2013 22:36 - 15 Oct 2013 22:49 #610150 by pbmax
Pitted cam caps? was created by pbmax
79 KZ750 B4 Twin

Starting to put cams back in when I noticed this (sorry for image size)

This shouldn't be related to cam lope pitting. It looks like air pockets or something from the casting process. I checked the cam shafts and they have no scoring at all. Nothing to worry about?
Last edit: 15 Oct 2013 22:49 by pbmax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
16 Oct 2013 10:09 #610190 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Pitted cam caps?
I think your thoughts are right, poor casting. As for it being an issue, doubt it. I would get some plastic gauge and check the clearance. The pit in the cap bearing surface should just hold a bit of oil, as long as it is a blind hole. In order to fix it, it would require another head, as the caps are machined to the head. Or possibly have it machined for bearing inserts, but that would cost a fair bit. $$$$ Probably not worth that.
If the clearance is good I'd run it for sure.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
16 Oct 2013 10:12 #610192 by Stazi
Replied by Stazi on topic Pitted cam caps?
That's porosity in the casting. Pretty crappy casting....

But it should affect performance if the mating cam journals aren't showing any scoring in the area of the pits.

82 KZ1000-K2 LTD

More
16 Oct 2013 15:01 #610234 by pbmax
Replied by pbmax on topic Pitted cam caps?
Thanks!

After a bit of research, it is from the casting. Other people have seen this on their engines as well.

Hydrogen gas porosity is an aluminum casting defect under the form of a porosity or void in an aluminum casting caused by a high level of hydrogen gas (H2) dissolved in the aluminum at liquid phase. Because the solubility of hydrogen in solid aluminum is much smaller than in liquid aluminum, when the aluminum freezes, the dissolved hydrogen gas creates porosity in solid aluminum.