Loud click, low compression, was low on oil

More
14 Oct 2013 23:30 #610036 by tomccrowe
I was hoping you all could help me. I have a 1978 KZ650 and it has run great all summer and I never noticed it burning any oil. The other day I did notice it smoke a little when I started it but didn't think anything of it. Well on the way home on the highway it started making a loud clack on the right side of the engine and lost power. After I got it home I checked the oil and it was very low if there was any in it at all. The compression on cylinder #4 is only about 50, all the others were over 100. I pulled the valve cover off and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. What could the problem be? I was hoping it would be something I could fix myself but now am kind of worried.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2013 04:15 #610047 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Loud click, low compression, was low on oil

tomccrowe wrote: I was hoping you all could help me. I have a 1978 KZ650 and it has run great all summer and I never noticed it burning any oil. The other day I did notice it smoke a little when I started it but didn't think anything of it. Well on the way home on the highway it started making a loud clack on the right side of the engine and lost power. After I got it home I checked the oil and it was very low if there was any in it at all. The compression on cylinder #4 is only about 50, all the others were over 100. I pulled the valve cover off and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. What could the problem be? I was hoping it would be something I could fix myself but now am kind of worried.

Clues:

NO OIL

LOUD CLACKING NOISE

LOST POWER

My silly guess would be a rod or main bearing is hosed.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.