• david-b
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I am THAT guy
More
09 Oct 2013 13:51 #609367 by david-b
Winterizing was created by david-b
Hey all;
It's coming around to that time of year to start thinking about how I'm going to store the bike. Since it's running great and I want to make it through the winter, how do I go about keeping it in great condition? I've found some shops that store them, but prices are a little outrageous. I have a storage shed where she sleeps, so staying in there and wrapped up whenever not being worked worked on or started

For my Monte Carlo that gets garage kept throughout the winter, I close her all up, close off all openings to the motor, put some fuel stabilizer in and she stays under wraps until April. Oil change in then and she fires right up. Never had a carb issue or anything. I know with the bikes, they're a little different, so should I throw some stabilizer in and try to start it every now and then?

She will not be ridden until the weather gets nicer... probably April.
What do you guys do, and what do you recommend?
Thanks

/Dave

2013 Chevy Sonic LT 1.4L Turbo
1982 Kawasaki KZ750-H3 LTD
1975 Monte Carlo 400sbc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2013 14:29 #609371 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Winterizing
I have found that the very best approach is simply not let it sit without running it over the Winter. During the Winter, I start my bike at least once every 2 weeks and let it idle for about 15 minutes or so. Because the ambient temperature is so cold, it doesn't overheat at all in that time frame. Doing that keeps oil on the cylinder walls and other parts, keeps the battery charged and healthy, and prevents fuel goo from forming inside the carbs. I add some fuel stabilizer to the fuel tank at the end of the riding season so the gas doesn't go bad. Although may not really be necessary, I suspect this is a good idea since that tank of fuel is going to last all Winter. I do take the bike for a spin around the block if weather permits, but that generally is only a couple times until Spring arrives. Once Spring arrives the bike is ready to ride; no muss - no fuss. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
09 Oct 2013 17:14 - 08 Nov 2013 13:37 #609385 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Winterizing
Mine will be Winterized soon too, and won't come out till April also.

I drain the carbs.
Fill the gas tank, and add a stabilizer/sea foam etc.
Change the oil and filter.
Remove the battery and bring it in the house, charging it on low once a month at least.
Add a little oil to each cylinder through the spark plug holes, put the plugs back in. Then once a month turn the engine over in neutral with the kickstarter to move the pistons.
Get both wheels off the floor/ground, either on the center stand or other stands.
Cover the exhaust openings, and the air box opening.

Come Spring, I install the battery, drain the gas tank and use that in the car, add fresh gas, set petcock to Prime to fill the carbs, and she usually starts no problems.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 08 Nov 2013 13:37 by rstnick.

More
10 Oct 2013 02:38 #609471 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic Winterizing

rstnick wrote: Mine will be Winterized soon too, and won't come out till April also.

I drain the carbs.
Fill the gas tank, and add a stailizer/sea foam etc.
Remove the battery and bring it in the house, charging it on low once a month at least.
Add a little oil to each cylinder through the spark plug holes, put the plugs back in. Then once a month turn the engine over in neutral with the kickstarter to move the pistons.
Get both wheels off the floor/ground, either on the center stand or other stands.

Come Spring, I install the battery, drain the gas tank and use that in the car, add fresh gas, set petcock to Prime to fill the carbs, and she usually starts no problems.

I agree mostly.
I use fuel treatment THEN run the bike for one last time.
Then top up your tank from a can, as little air space in the tank as you can.
I also use a battery tender because I have power where he sleeps.
A heavy coat of your fav wax and DON'T wipe it off till spring on all the paint and bright work.
And something to cover him,even an old mattress pad, just something.

Mike

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
10 Oct 2013 03:19 #609477 by 74ullc
Replied by 74ullc on topic Winterizing
Wow....we are just now getting into good riding weather here! It's been too dang hot until just a few days ago when the first cool front blew thru. Upper 80's for the highs this week.

I would agree with the Ed method if I lived where it ever got cold. :whistle:

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F

• david-b
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I am THAT guy
More
11 Oct 2013 22:38 #609709 by david-b
Replied by david-b on topic Winterizing
Thank you for all the good answers. I will keep her open and start her every now and then. The occasional spin around the block sounds good too. Any recommendations on fuel stabilizer? For my Monte, I always fill up with full tank of premium and dump a whole canister of whatever is on sale haha.

Man I wish it was 80. Highs of 50 next week... only going to get worse now.

/Dave

2013 Chevy Sonic LT 1.4L Turbo
1982 Kawasaki KZ750-H3 LTD
1975 Monte Carlo 400sbc

More
11 Oct 2013 22:44 #609712 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Winterizing
I use this stuff, and I put in the amount shown in the instructions. Don't over-do it. Ed

Attachment sta-bil.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
12 Oct 2013 03:21 #609744 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Winterizing
Actually, Marine Stabil does a better job with our ethanol-laced fuels.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
12 Oct 2013 13:05 #609776 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Winterizing

rstnick wrote: Mine will be Winterized soon too, and won't come out till April also.

I drain the carbs.
Fill the gas tank, and add a stailizer/sea foam etc.

Been pretty much doing this for years too except I drain the gas from the tank and add maybe a little under a Dixie cup of a 50/50 oil and wd-40 mix and coat the inside real good. I then rinse it out good in the spring and start with fresh gas. Don't really trust keeping gas for much over a month or two no matter what you do to it.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.