78 kz1000 shifting issues (not neutral finder)

More
08 Oct 2013 02:56 - 08 Oct 2013 03:08 #609218 by kzoutlaw2
Im new to posting on the forum so hello all,ive owned and worked on a kz1000 in the past this but is the first time ive done a complete disassemble and rebuild on one though, anyways ive got the case halves back together and put the shift mechanism back in and tried cycling through all the gears im aware of the neutral finder and ive been able to spin the transmission shafts fast enough to get it to shift into 2nd gear and further but not consistently whenever im running through the gears no matter if its going 2nd or from 5th to 4th or 2nd to 3rd or any combination 75% of the time it gets stuck/jammed and wont get a positive lock into the next gear, it ran through them up and down once after an hour of trying this but i couldn't repeat it, the dogs on all the gears looked good and none of the forks looked bent to me when i was cleaning them before re-installing and the shift drum pins didn't look worn but i didn't remove them, so is there something i should be look more closely at before proceeding to continue reassemble or if it should be fine under normal operating conditions, i feel comfortable reassembling if this had been out of a bike that i had rode before and knew shifted well but i got the bike not running with the neck cut off and don't know if this is reason for the condition i got it in or well you know, any advice would be great, thanks
Last edit: 08 Oct 2013 03:08 by kzoutlaw2.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2013 18:20 #609402 by Garn
Firstly, is the shifting thru the gears done with someone spinning the rear wheel, or is the motor running?
If the motor is running and you are on the stand then it should shift normally. Spinning the back wheel all the time to check the shift is not really checking it out!

It could be the large spring-loaded indent "rounded shaft" that drops into the detent on main selector shaft. This could have been screwed in too far and the bottom of this is rubbing on the selector shaft.

RegardZ.

1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

More
09 Oct 2013 21:54 #609432 by kzoutlaw2
Replied by kzoutlaw2 on topic 78 kz1000 shifting issues (not neutral finder)
hey thanks for the response, the engine is out of the bike and i have someone spinning the input shaft,the engine now is only case halves together with the crank and transmission and shift linkage, after flipping the engine and watching the transmission gears, the dogs half the time when shifting are hit the top of the other dog instead of locking side to side like they should, and when i put the gears back on the shaft i made sure that all of them went back to where oil hole lined back up, so im beginning to think either somehow i messed up and maybe one or more gears isn't on the correct spine on the shaft or that when everything is being lubricated properly all will be fine, any thoughts?

More
09 Oct 2013 21:59 #609433 by kzoutlaw2
Replied by kzoutlaw2 on topic 78 kz1000 shifting issues (not neutral finder)
post though is there a certain way i should have meshed the input and output gears together?