Exhaust wrap

More
06 Oct 2013 23:26 #609022 by nickleo373
Exhaust wrap was created by nickleo373
Hey everyone.
I've been looking into getting some exhaust wrap to hide rust on my headers. I've heard from some people that the wrap can cause air cooled engines to get too hot and overheat. Is this true and is there anything else I should know before doing this?
Thanks

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2013 23:33 #609023 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Exhaust wrap
Why not remove them, have someone sandblast them & the use a flat black high temperature paint? Wrapping will gather moisture, making your pipes rust out.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
06 Oct 2013 23:45 #609028 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Exhaust wrap
I had them sandblasted a while back. It got most of the rust off but it left a bunch of dark pitted spots all over the headers. Will paint cover the pitted spots?

1981 KZ550C LTD

More
07 Oct 2013 00:55 #609035 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Exhaust wrap
How deep are the pits? If not rusted through, several coats of paint should work.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
07 Oct 2013 03:18 - 07 Oct 2013 03:20 #609043 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Exhaust wrap

nickleo373 wrote: I had them sandblasted a while back. It got most of the rust off but it left a bunch of dark pitted spots all over the headers. Will paint cover the pitted spots?

Use a clean steel wire brush.

Sand it lightly, wipe down with acetone and then coat with the black HI temp paint. Then cure with a heat gun and you're good to go.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 07 Oct 2013 03:20 by bountyhunter.

More
07 Oct 2013 05:05 #609048 by peavylotus
Replied by peavylotus on topic Exhaust wrap
I believe the downside of exhaust wrap is there being a lack of upside. Also its there to keep the engine area cooler and not usually the case that the engine overheats. Problem lies in the exhaust pipes getting so hot they crack from the metal getting brittle. If someone wraps up some nice performance headers to get rid of lingering heat and the headers crack, they just lost the cost of the headers for like...negligible reasons. Also rust is a huge deal as you all said. On the flip side it does look pretty cool...see avatar haha

1980 KZ 1045 LTD Currently Workin' It Out

More
07 Oct 2013 20:57 #609175 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Exhaust wrap
Thanks for the replies everyone. After reading all the posts, I think it might be cheaper in the long run to just save up for new pipes. I liked the exhaust wrap because you don't have to paint the engine, but I think the bike would look weird with just the pipes black. Does anyone know of an exhaust system(preferably 4 to 1) compatible with an 81 kz550?

1981 KZ550C LTD

More
08 Oct 2013 01:39 #609214 by jenkrider
Replied by jenkrider on topic Exhaust wrap
I had wrapped my headers a few years ago to cover up rusty pipes. I sandblasted the pipes, re painted the pipes with rattle can header paint - a month later it looked like crap again.

I got the 'black' wrap - it only stayed black for a week. Overall the wrap has held up pretty well other than that, although it started to fall apart a bit with time over the last few years.

It is a relatively cheap and easy way to hide shitty looking pipes - but it only looks good temporarily IMO.

I still have that header on and I know the bike will look so much better with the cool 4 into 2 that I am going to sandblast and maybe have chromed or ceramic coated.

Also - a note about ceramic coating - I had a full system blasted and coated awhile back. It looked great for about a month, then starting rusting to my horror and dismay. I live right on the coast so the salt air mustve gotten to it. Maybe the guy I had do it didn't do a good job? My point is to make sure someone does it who knows what they are doing if you have that done!

76' KZ900
00' KLR650
82' XV920 Virago
74' Ironhead Sportster