Highway speeds and stability

More
28 Sep 2013 17:08 #608137 by Salder69
Highway speeds and stability was created by Salder69
WHen I go fast my bike gets real unstable, like crazy vibration. I thought it was supposed to be more stable the faster I went (just kidding)

anyways, would a small windshield do the trick?

help. I don't want to invest much more in to this pastime, but it's stabilize this bike, or find something more stable...

kz 750 k1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2013 17:52 - 28 Sep 2013 17:53 #608142 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Highway speeds and stability
If the bike fells a little "buzzy" it may just be engine vibration. HOWEVER - If the bike is shaking as if it feels like it is wobbling you have a problem that MUST be corrected; forget a windshield, that has nothing to do with the problem. The wobble can cause you to crash if it becomes severe. The good news it, it can be cured. Here are the likely suspects:

1. Tires - they can look perfect and still cause a high speed wobble, also make sure tires are balanced and pressure is set according to Kawasaki spec. If tires are worn replace them. If no other action in this list eliminates wobble replace the tires even if they look great (guess how I know!) Make sure wheels are not damaged at all.

2. Shocks - if yours are original throw them in the trash - they are shot; if they have been replaced make sure they are high quality units in good shape or else replace them.

3. Swingarm bushings - if you don't know when they were replaced you should replace them (even a little play in them goes a long way to mess up handling)

4. Steering stem bearings - if yours are original replace them with tapered roller bearings; make sure steering stem torque is in spec

5. Fork oil - if not fresh replace with Bel-Ray 15w FORK oil

6. Wheels bearings - if they do not feel dead smooth replace them.

7. Make sure drive chain is adjusted correctly and chain/sprockets are not worn out

8. Make sure there brake rotor(s) are not warped and dragging unevenly

Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 28 Sep 2013 17:53 by 650ed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.