School Me on Exhaust

• PaulyWally
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Total Bike Newbie
More
27 Sep 2013 23:44 - 27 Sep 2013 23:46 #608076 by PaulyWally
School Me on Exhaust was created by PaulyWally
So... I know zilch about exhaust. I just know that my muffler has issues (it's loud, and the bracket weld joint cracked off).

It's a 2-1 and I would guess it's original. There aren't a ton of OEM exhaust systems around for this bike. So I figured I should take care of it sooner rather than later. I'm just not very sure on what to do (slip on muffler? Full exhaust kit? Or???)

The head pipes seem solid. Although, they aren't very pretty. I have no issues going with a wrap. But I know nothing about slip on mufflers. And besides that, it seems like a slip on muffler is in the neighborhood of $150, while a full exhaust is in the neighborhood of $270. I figure I might as well just buy the full exhaust. But I'm open to suggestions.

I found a supplier that still has a couple OEM full exhaust kits (they are MAC exhausts, actually). One with black headers, one with chrome. Is there a difference other than color? Will one rust sooner? I ask because I think I might like the look of the black... plus it's $25 cheaper. But if I'm sure to get more life out of the chrome, then I'd rather just get the chrome.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm totally open to opinions.

Thanks in advance!

1976 KZ750 Twin
Last edit: 27 Sep 2013 23:46 by PaulyWally.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2013 23:51 - 28 Sep 2013 00:00 #608078 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic School Me on Exhaust
If the existing exhaust system is solid (absent holes and weakness from excessive rust), might consider welding the hanger bracket back onto the muffler and painting the entire system with flat black VHT rattle can spray paint.

Am thinking the stock exhaust was 2 into 2.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 28 Sep 2013 00:00 by Patton.

More
28 Sep 2013 00:04 #608081 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic School Me on Exhaust
As Patton mentioned, your bike's original exhaust would have been 2 into 2 (see diagram). Ed

Attachment 00001_2013-09-27-2.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

• PaulyWally
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Total Bike Newbie
More
28 Sep 2013 10:54 - 28 Sep 2013 11:04 #608106 by PaulyWally
Replied by PaulyWally on topic School Me on Exhaust

Patton wrote: If the existing exhaust system is solid (absent holes and weakness from excessive rust),

Well... the muffler isn't "muffling". I didn't think that was something that is serviceable. That's why I assumed I would need to replace the muffler either way. So the busted weld joint was moot a moot point.

Patton wrote: might consider welding the hanger bracket back onto the muffler and painting the entire system with flat black VHT rattle can spray paint.

Will spray paint adhere to chrome? Like I said, the headers aren't pretty. But one of them still has a significant amount of chrome on it.

Patton wrote: Am thinking the stock exhaust was 2 into 2.

650ed wrote: your bike's original exhaust would have been 2 into 2

Is there an advantage to going back to a 2-2?

1976 KZ750 Twin
Last edit: 28 Sep 2013 11:04 by PaulyWally.

More
28 Sep 2013 11:57 #608112 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic School Me on Exhaust
I doubt that there's a performance reason to go back to a 2 into 2 system as a reputable 2 into 1 pipe should perform well. It's more of an appearance issue and that gets down to personal taste. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)