Endless Oil Leaks

More
27 Sep 2013 14:01 #608007 by turboking
Replied by turboking on topic Endless Oil Leaks
exxon valdez :pinch: :S I have a high compression 1428 pro stock GP headed type engine ......only way to stop it from weeping oil was to add two extra breathers off of the gpz valve cover :huh:

Still I stay away from running real big c.c. Z engines on the street too many oil weeping problems.....I like too keep my stuff clean..... :whistle:

2005 Kawasaki mean streak
2000 325 H.P. mcXpress turbo Hayabusa
1979 kz 1000 mk II ATP turbo
1975 Z1 960 cc Mr. Turbo
1975 Z1 1428 big block ATP turbo
1976 Kz900 1103 cc ATP turbo
1985 GS 1150E
1983 GS 1100E
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
2001 Kawasaki EX 500 Ninja
1972 Honda cb750 (836cc turbo)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SkidZmark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2013 17:30 - 27 Sep 2013 17:37 #608030 by SkidZmark
Replied by SkidZmark on topic Endless Oil Leaks
Interesting thoughts.

How Much Oil
I've been running 4 quarts. I have a large oil cooler up front, with long lines, and thought I'd need to run lots of oil to prevent sucking up dry, with extra oil being piped around like it is.

Extra Breather Ports in Head
This sounds like a logical next move. I'm inserting a photo of the J Head I'm using. Are you referring to opening up the pair of holes under the emission control caps on either side? I had these plugged off, following someone's advice at some point. Would these provide enough breathing, or should holes be drilled elsewhere?

Big Bore Oil Leaking Inevitable
It may be that I have to recreate this motor as a smaller displacement machine. Wonder how small I'd need to go to escape these oil woes? Now that I had my engine case machined to accept this large a bore I might be hooped. Not sure.
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Sep 2013 17:37 by SkidZmark. Reason: Changed Icon

More
27 Sep 2013 19:25 #608043 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Endless Oil Leaks
I've been advised to only run 3 1/2 qts oil in my big-block but it isn't running oil cooler either. I would think 4 qts. would be about right though. Also told to run as many breathers as I can. Run from the crankcase breather, smog caps on top of valve cover, even put another one in side of valve cover up near where the center cam chain idler is. If you aren't running a kick starter, put a breather in a kick off plate cover. Anyway you can relieve pressure in the crankcase will help. As far as the cases being bored, that shouldn't be a problem. You can run stock cylinders on top of bored cases. Be sure to have the locating pins in there to help center the cylinder but that shouldn't be a problem. It was suggested to me to bore cases out when doing rebuild if any thought of going big in future so wouldn't have to split cases later...

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
27 Sep 2013 21:17 - 27 Sep 2013 21:19 #608050 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Endless Oil Leaks

SkidZmark wrote: Interesting thoughts.

How Much Oil
I've been running 4 quarts. I have a large oil cooler up front, with long lines, and thought I'd need to run lots of oil to prevent sucking up dry, with extra oil being piped around like it is.

Extra Breather Ports in Head
This sounds like a logical next move. I'm inserting a photo of the J Head I'm using. Are you referring to opening up the pair of holes under the emission control caps on either side? I had these plugged off, following someone's advice at some point. Would these provide enough breathing, or should holes be drilled elsewhere?

Big Bore Oil Leaking Inevitable
It may be that I have to recreate this motor as a smaller displacement machine. Wonder how small I'd need to go to escape these oil woes? Now that I had my engine case machined to accept this large a bore I might be hooped. Not sure.

You would not drill the emmision ports. You would drill on both sides of that center lip that runs down the center. I put mine right on top of the cam caps to help reduce a chance of oil getting slinged up into the holes. I also filled the emmison ports on the valve cover so that way it cant stand with oil in the valve cover.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now
Last edit: 27 Sep 2013 21:19 by Powerstroke_fan.

More
28 Sep 2013 17:19 - 28 Sep 2013 17:29 #608139 by SkidZmark

Decided I'll try opening up my valve cover to improve breathing. Wondering where to drill, and how large openings should be.

In the attached picture, red circles are over cam caps. Not as much oil blowing around, there, maybe. Might not be as effective for pressure relief.

Green circles are on top of the timing chain well. Crankcase pressure would be coming up this well, and this would be a good place to provide breathing. Maybe more oil flying around here?

Blue circles are on the side of the timing chain bump. Maybe less direct flinging of oil from the timing chain, here.

How many holes, and where? Blue, green, red or a combination of..

Assuming I'll have to drill and have some kind of spouts welded on. Not much metal thickness for threading, and not much room inside for threads to stick through.

Thoughts and ideas much appreciated..

SkidZ -Mark-
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Sep 2013 17:29 by SkidZmark. Reason: image

More
28 Sep 2013 18:31 #608146 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Endless Oil Leaks
I've seen where they have plumbed where the blue circles are but only used one right in center of the cam chain hump. Also used the smog caps to vent.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
29 Sep 2013 09:52 #608191 by Powerstroke_fan

Attachment Untitled_2013-09-29.png not found

You can see where i put the four black circles. Thats where i put mine. Then used the tops with the nipples so you could easily use it for vent hoses.

Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
And Much Much more- SOLD

Attachments:

More
29 Sep 2013 09:55 #608193 by Powerstroke_fan
heres my orginal thread i started about this a while ago. This has allot of good info in it.
www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/559023-tu...se-vent?limitstart=0

Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
And Much Much more- SOLD

More
29 Sep 2013 14:57 #608235 by SkidZmark
Thanks to all for the help. This is a great web group.

Special thanks to Powerstroke_fan - for the picture and the thread link. This is the route I'll take- fresh breather holes where the smog equipment was.

Hope this is the fix..! ;)

SkidZ

Mark