No start after throttle cable install

• gumbytoogood
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Sep 2013 19:16 #607199 by gumbytoogood
No start after throttle cable install was created by gumbytoogood
Well I have my 76 KZ900 mia because the throttle cable on me decided to snap on me in the middle of riding it. Got it towed to my house ordered/installed the cable myself seeing that yes the cable had snapped as suspected. installed 2 brand new cables (only 1 broke) and I go to try and start my bike and it wants to go but just sputters out even when I pull on the throttle. the bike was running just fine even when the cable broke. im not very knowledgeable when it comes to bikes but I have done work to this one with no real issues til now. was wondering if I maybe missed a step somewhere or maybe it could be something else. as of right now I have power, gas, going to it for sure, but just will not turn over. Thanks for the help fellas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Sep 2013 11:50 #607245 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic No start after throttle cable install
The only way I can think of changing a cable set and then have a no start, would be to either have bumped and unplugged a connector, or if you had the plug wires off for some reason, they are on wrong.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
21 Sep 2013 12:05 #607249 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic No start after throttle cable install
When starting a KZ engine you should apply no throttle at all. So, you should be able to disconnect both throttle cables at the carbs and start the bike. If it starts with the cables disconnected chances are one of the cables was holding the carbs open a little and therefore the engine woulnd't start. If the engine still won't start with the cables disconnected, you can safely assume the problem is not cable related. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)