Cylinder Head work

More
17 Sep 2013 23:11 #606871 by freakinbike
Cylinder Head work was created by freakinbike
One of my valves on my 1982 gpz750 has no clearance. I've posts about this before so I apologize, just seeking clarification. I still have no clearance after a valve adjustment, so the manual tells me to cut grind the valve seat and check the valve stem height. The manual goes on to say that if these do not give proper clearance then I need to get a new valve or new head, or both.

Even if grinding the valve stem gives me good clearance, I'm skeptical about how much compression I'll have on that cylinder.
My idea is to simply take the valves along with the head to the machine shop and have the grind all the valve seats and stems, and any other head work I'll need, since I can't simply buy a new head.

My question: is this kind of work possible? Like if I need material added to the head? And if it is possible, would it be worth it? Or am I just going about this all wrong?

1982 GPZ750, stock (for now..)
1973 VW Bus
Can life really get much better?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
17 Sep 2013 23:17 #606874 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Cylinder Head work
The machine shop should be able to do a valve job, at worst they may need to replace a sunken valve seat.
Take it to a shop that does bike heads, or at least an auto machine shop that knows about installed height and shims. A lot of cars have this also.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
18 Sep 2013 01:58 #606883 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic Cylinder Head work
Wrong ???,sideways maybe.

If you are going to spend that much $$ on a machine shop.
Why not just buy new SS valves and have a good valve job done and forget about it for the next decade or so?

Mike

PS don't GRIND the valve seats, have them cut.
After "grinding" the seats and the valves, it will lower the compression just a bit.

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
19 Sep 2013 02:23 #607019 by Garn
Replied by Garn on topic Cylinder Head work
FreakinBike, you may only need what they call a valve "tip", which is grinding off a small amount of the valve stem end, making sure you do not effect the keepers.
A good head-shop would be able to advise.
You always need clearance between the valve and the cam when the valve is closed, otherwise ... you will loose compression and burn the valves. Often grinding the valve face you loose the clearance!
RegardZ.

1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

More
19 Sep 2013 13:07 #607056 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Cylinder Head work
Before you go tearing into the head have you used the smallest shim available?

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
19 Sep 2013 14:10 #607070 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Cylinder Head work
How much can be machined off the tip of the valve on a KZ/GPZ? The reason I ask is, a fellow flattrack racer performed a similar machining service on the tip of a Yamaha 500 valve and found out, too late, that he removed all the hardfacing from the tip of the valve! :pinch:

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

More
19 Sep 2013 16:06 #607086 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic Cylinder Head work
It's not much. A few thousands of an inch. Too much and you suck a valve.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike

More
21 Sep 2013 17:21 #607270 by Lt.Dan
Replied by Lt.Dan on topic Cylinder Head work
My guess if it's an exhaust valve it's fried, if it's an intake valve the valve is being pulled into the seat and may be cupped. I have seen the seats coming loose on Hiway Patrol bikes exhaust valves but not too much on street bikes. That valve and seat need a real close examination before tip grinding is done.