New Speedometer

More
17 Sep 2013 23:06 - 17 Sep 2013 23:10 #606870 by Salder69
New Speedometer was created by Salder69
Speedometer broke. I don't know what happened but the little bendable shaft that drives it was snapped at the part where the cable attaches to the front brake assembly.

The speedometer is broke. I tested the little drive thing on the speedometer gear on the front wheel. It seemed to work smoothly, but I don't know.

I don't have a lot of money to cash out, but I need a new one. I need to know how fast I'm going.

If i buy one aftermarket are there any guaranteed to fit. I don't have the metalworking tools to modify the mounting bracket for the dash.

KZ750 LTD K1 1983

Here she is in her latest incarnation.

i.imgur.com/5oNk501.jpg

thanks
Last edit: 17 Sep 2013 23:10 by Salder69. Reason: forgot link

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
17 Sep 2013 23:13 #606872 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic New Speedometer
Sounds like it could just be the cable itself. The bendable thingy is the inner cable, and it is what drives the speedo. The black outer is the cable housing, for it to turn inside, and they can bind and seize then break. If when you turn the front wheel, and the square like 1/8" diameter part turns freely with the wheel movement. Then take a drill chuck, and the remaining part of the inner cable still hooked to the speedo, and tun on the drill. See if the speedo registers.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
17 Sep 2013 23:19 - 17 Sep 2013 23:25 #606875 by Salder69
Replied by Salder69 on topic New Speedometer

Motor Head wrote: Sounds like it could just be the cable itself. The bendable thingy is the inner cable, and it is what drives the speedo. The black outer is the cable housing, for it to turn inside, and they can bind and seize then break. If when you turn the front wheel, and the square like 1/8" diameter part turns freely with the wheel movement. Then take a drill chuck, and the remaining part of the inner cable still hooked to the speedo, and tun on the drill. See if the speedo registers.

I used my adjustable wrench and tried to turn it when I took it off, and it was stuck. When I unstuck it, it turned freely in the speedometer unit, but did not turn the dial. The needle snapped too. (it snapped when it initially broke, about 3 weeks ago)

If I go much faster than the speedometer is supposed to go, will it do that? I've been driving it nearly as fast as I can when I'm on it, at least on nice, level straits where I don't think I'll find any trouble.

Original speedometer went to 85.

Other than that, I attached the end piece that is like a cylinder shaft with a slit cut into the part of the speedometer gear on the front brakes and put it in neutral and it spun smoothly and freely.

But seriously, I do need a speedometer.

Tachometer works w/ no problems other than I need to spend the time going through the wires in the front headlight and set that up. Such a pain in the ass without a wiring diagram.

Anyways, thanks
Last edit: 17 Sep 2013 23:25 by Salder69.

More
18 Sep 2013 02:25 #606886 by lightitup
Replied by lightitup on topic New Speedometer
i know u said u were short on cash but heres one thats awesome another guys on the forums is running and i want to get one. but for everything it does its not to pricey

www.veypor.com/veypor.html

81 kz 550 ltd

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
18 Sep 2013 08:07 #606899 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic New Speedometer

lightitup wrote: i know u said u were short on cash but heres one thats awesome another guys on the forums is running and i want to get one. but for everything it does its not to pricey

www.veypor.com/veypor.html

As the guy who has this multi-function speedometer I just want you to know that it is lovely, but not cheap or easy to install on your bike. I already have almost $500 in it and I still have to fabricate a custom dash with indicator lights and ignition switch.

If I were the OP I would start with a new cable and find a direct replacement speedometer from ebay or the like. That will be the easiest and cheapest method.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN