lets talk exhaust, custom exhaust that is...

• kamakazie1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Sep 2013 15:55 #606032 by kamakazie1000
lets talk exhaust, custom exhaust that is... was created by kamakazie1000
For My 77 Kz1000 Cafe Project...
So I'm doing a little research so I can start planning my exhaust. I have two ideas in mind; a) 4-2 with Norton style reverse megaphones, or b) a 4-1 with a Shorty reverse megaphone. I have a few questions concerning each.
First in the 4-2, I'm planning on wrapping the head pipes with exhaust fiberglass tape so I'm not concerned with a chrome finish or anything. I could get a Mac 4-2 and weld my mufflers on, but I don't really feel like paying 400 bucks for chromed head pipes that I'm just going to cover up. Will other factory 4-2 exhausts mount to the motor on my 77 kz1000? I'm not worried about mounting brackets or anything, I can fab those myself. There's some good left and right side pipes on Ebay that claim to be for 78-81kz1000c, would those be ok to use? If not what are my options.
Now for the 4-1, I would probably use a v&h header, what would a good size muffler be? The one I'm looking at is 2 1/2 inch in and out, 4 inches at the widest part of the megaphone before it reverses and 12" long.

Any help, insight, concern, etc will be greatly appreciated. Thanks gents!

Terminal lance corporal of Marines, putting the GRUNT in disgruntled

kz1000 cafe project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.