Any Suggestions for this Exhaust Leak?

• Mid life crisis
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Sep 2013 16:12 #605391 by Mid life crisis
Any Suggestions for this Exhaust Leak? was created by Mid life crisis
Hi there.

I will be looking into a new exhaust system for my 81 KZ750-E2 next year, but in the meantime I am stuck with an ill-fitting header that leaks.

It is the type that uses a collar bolted to the engine and then the pipes are held in by springs (see image).

The exhaust leaks around the pipe itself, as the collars seem to seal up pretty well to the engine with new crush gaskets in there.

Any suggestions on how to seal these up? Should I fill the gap with some sort of sealant, or should I pack some sort of insulation into the cracks?

Thanks for looking.

1981 KZ750E2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
07 Sep 2013 19:49 #605417 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Any Suggestions for this Exhaust Leak?
You could try cleaning all the carbon off of both mating surfaces, then smear some High Temp Copper Permatex Silicone around the joints, put it together, wipe off the excess and let it cure 24 hrs. Then run it.
www.all-spec.com/products/81878.html?gcl...mvurkCFShxQgod1G8A8A

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
08 Sep 2013 00:37 #605470 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Any Suggestions for this Exhaust Leak?
What kind of headers are those? It's a pretty common set up on a race bike but the "overlap" goes the other way.

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

• Mid life crisis
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Sep 2013 00:50 #605473 by Mid life crisis
Replied by Mid life crisis on topic Any Suggestions for this Exhaust Leak?
I have no idea! They were on the bike when I got them. There has been some welding and modifications on them, so they may be home made.

I will try some of that high temp sealer and see how that goes.

1981 KZ750E2

More
08 Sep 2013 12:08 - 08 Sep 2013 12:13 #605539 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Any Suggestions for this Exhaust Leak?
Maybe try thicker exhaust gaskets?

These are a little larger in diameter than stock, but I think they will work. not sure.
Z1Enterprises.com - Suzuki exhaust gaskets - Emgo EM13-87851-1

Or maybe these? ... slightly smaller in diameter.
Z1Enterprises.com - Yamaha exhaust gaskets - K&L KL16-0180-1
Last edit: 08 Sep 2013 12:13 by martin_csr.

More
09 Sep 2013 20:59 #605756 by toad
Replied by toad on topic Any Suggestions for this Exhaust Leak?
I agree with martin csr .GS gaskets seem to work nice somewhat thicker, tighten snug evenly warm up bike and recheck.Permatex helps as well.

78 kz 1000
wiesco 1015
29mm smoothbores
gs1100 swingarm
gsxr rear

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
09 Sep 2013 21:27 #605763 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Any Suggestions for this Exhaust Leak?
weld that sucker up.... ;)

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
09 Sep 2013 21:30 #605766 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Any Suggestions for this Exhaust Leak?

4TheKZ1000 wrote: weld that sucker up.... ;)

Yes that would solve that slip fit permanently. Then you could get some of the thicker gaskets also.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• Mid life crisis
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Sep 2013 21:51 #605772 by Mid life crisis
Welding may be the way to go. I will have to bring the bike to someone to tack the collar in place before I take them off (to ensure the collars are sitting flush with the engine). I will look for those gaskets as well.

In the mean time, I will try out the sealant mentioned earlier.

Thanks for the ideas.

1981 KZ750E2

More
10 Sep 2013 13:45 #605844 by Dr. Gamma
Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic Any Suggestions for this Exhaust Leak?
Before you weld up the spigots to the pipe. Make sure you can get to your oil filter, if not you will have to remove pipe every time you change oil and filter!!!

I would remove pipe and spigots, clean all the carbon off of pipe and on the spigots where the pipe slides into it. Put the spigots back on the head with factory copper style exhaust gaskets Then try the hi-heat silicone to seal pipe to the spigots. Do the springs still apply enough tension to hold the pipe tightly against the spigots?? I always used some exhaust springs from a early model KX125 on my Bassani pipes.

Do I see little holes drilled into the nuts holding your exhaust spigots to your head?? The previous owner was either very safety conscious or a road racer!!!

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
10 Sep 2013 13:54 #605845 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Any Suggestions for this Exhaust Leak?
Is there a "shoulder" inside the collar that might accept an exhaust gasket between the pipe and collar?

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

• Mid life crisis
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Sep 2013 23:47 #605941 by Mid life crisis
The hole in the nut is a trick of the camera. There are no safety wire holes there. Doesn't mean it wasn't raced, but the PO wasn't very safety conscious if it was!

There are small shoulders inside the collar, but I am unsure if the pipes sit tight against them. It is worth a look. The springs I have are not that tight, so I will see what I can find.

The person I know that will weld them isn't available for some time, so I will be trying some sealant in the meantime. You can get to the oil plug with the pipe in place, so that is a good thing.

Unfortunately, the system doesn't allow me to use the centre stand. Any new exhaust I buy will accommodate the stand. I think the Vance and Hines 4 into 1 allows the centre stand to be attached. I will need to look into that.

Thanks again for the additional suggestions. I will be working on it this week sometime.

Peter

1981 KZ750E2