clutch problems, please help

More
02 Sep 2013 23:49 #604557 by drew51080
clutch problems, please help was created by drew51080
Hello, I have a 1977 kz1000. Recently had a clutch cable snap on me. Bike was running great up until then. I put a new cable on and was running good, but kept having to adjust out to tighten up cable. Eventually there was no more adjustment. The spots in middle, at the lever, and the push pin screw were all pushed out and could not adjust any more. So now cant ride, the bike stays in gear, and lever is loose. Not sure if I need to pull off the clutch cover and maybe something is wore. Just confused because was running fine before. Hoping someone might have an idea of what this could be. Looked all over internet and could not find a good answer. Please help me before the snow flies.

thanks
Drew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2013 23:54 #604558 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic clutch problems, please help
Maybe it's the wrong cable. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
03 Sep 2013 00:14 #604559 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic clutch problems, please help
Sometimes the nut that holds the clutch basket to the transmission can come loose. What this does is let the clutch assm work off towards the right side of the bike and the mechanicals that push the clutch to disengauge it have to push a greater distance to work. In short order all adjustment range of the cable is used. To look at this means removing the clutch cover, then the five or six 6mm bolts to remove the clutch outer push plate, then check the nut there in the center to see if it's tight. To tighten if loose would mean a clutch holder tool.
Of course most here are going to recommend adjusting your clutch at the engine cover, but truth is the adjustment does not change much over time, if it worked before, by all logic it will work fine now amd for the next 50 yrs or so.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patton

More
03 Sep 2013 00:21 #604560 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic clutch problems, please help

drew51080 wrote: ... 1977 kz1000... put a new cable on... kept having to adjust out to tighten up cable. Eventually there was no more adjustment. The spots in middle, at the lever, and the push pin screw were all pushed out and could not adjust any more... lever is loose....

push pin screw ... pushed out -- :huh:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
04 Sep 2013 09:01 #604757 by drew51080
Replied by drew51080 on topic clutch problems, please help
Hey Ron KZ650,

Thanks so much for your simple advice. Did not think it would be something as simple as a loose nut, but you were exactly right. I tightened that and clutch is back in business. Had to order the gasket for the clutch cover so should be riding in a few days.

thanks again
Drew