• almous71
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Newbman
More
02 Sep 2013 16:42 #604502 by almous71
KZ550 timing help please was created by almous71
Hi everyone.
I'm trying to reinstall my camshafts and I'm having trouble getting my timing correct. I'm following the instructions in the fsm, so I line up the T mark on the advancer with the indicator mark, feed the exhaust camshaft thru the chain, then line up the 'EX' line on the exhaust cam sprocket with the front cylinder head surface, then insert the intake camshaft thru the chain and line up the 'z/5' line on the intake cam sprocket with the rear cylinder head surface. Then I make sure the specified number of pins exist between the exhaust ex line and intake z/5 lines (between 43rd & 44the pin)
So when I do that, the camshafts don't fit right, so I'd only be able to get the camshaft caps back on by forcing them down. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong?

1981 KZ550-A2
Va.Beach, VA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2013 18:41 #604516 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ550 timing help please
Do you have the camchain-tensioner removed? Or at least the cross-wedge removed?

When I install the second cam, I usually have the sprocket unbolted from the camshaft, then I put the cam in place (at the approximate correct position) and slide the sprocket up onto the cam boss and slip the chain on. That way you can adjust the cam position and sprocket position independently before bolting them back together.

• almous71
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Newbman
More
02 Sep 2013 19:11 #604521 by almous71
Replied by almous71 on topic KZ550 timing help please
Thanks! Yup, the cross wedge is out.
I'm not sure I follow you. So do you bolt in the 1st camshaft then get the 2nd sprocket in line by turning the crankshaft? Then bolt in the 2nd camshaft then the 2nd sprocket?

1981 KZ550-A2
Va.Beach, VA

• almous71
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Newbman
More
03 Sep 2013 10:56 #604587 by almous71
I guess what I need to know at this point is if it's normal to have to really push down on the camshafts to get them back in (enough to open some of the valves), or should they just sort of lay in position if everything is lined up correctly?

Also when I go to put the intake camshaft in place it pulls the chain and moves the crankshaft so I'm no longer at tdc. Anybody have a trik for keeping the crankshaft clamped down?

1981 KZ550-A2
Va.Beach, VA

More
03 Sep 2013 13:14 - 03 Sep 2013 13:18 #604607 by loudhvx
Yes, it is normal to have to open some valves as you install the cams.

You must install the cam caps very, very evenly across the entire cam in order for the cam to seat in place properly. If it start to bind, start over. Don't force it.

The trick will be in telling the difference between the cam binding, and the cam pushing on a valve.

Take your time, above and beyond all else.

Also make sure all of the cam cap bolt holes are absolutely clean inside with no debris and all of the oil out. I wick the oil out with a piece of paper towel. If they are full of oil, it's easier to strip the threads due to hydro-static lock. Same goes for the valve cover. Make sure there is no sealant in the holes. Sealant and oil in the holes make it feel like the screw has very little resistance but allows the threads to strip out. Holes must be clean.

I use a 10 mm nut driver to get better precision and feel. It really helps. Sometimes I use two in order to tighten a cap evenly when fighting a valve.

By the way, my signature has some better drawings of the cam timing mark alignment etc. The manuals all have some minor errors that can make things confusing.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2013 13:18 by loudhvx.

• almous71
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Newbman
More
04 Sep 2013 02:02 #604742 by almous71
Excellent, thanks for the tips. I'll read up on your timing info tomorrow. So should I bolt down the exhaust cam before I even start to line up the intake cam?

1981 KZ550-A2
Va.Beach, VA

More
04 Sep 2013 12:36 #604779 by loudhvx

almous71 wrote: Excellent, thanks for the tips. I'll read up on your timing info tomorrow. So should I bolt down the exhaust cam before I even start to line up the intake cam?

Yes. Just make sure the crank is at 1-4 tdc, and the notch on the cam is in the right place. Also make sure the tach gear is out. It always interferes and will be the cause of potential damage.

• almous71
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Newbman
More
06 Sep 2013 16:19 #605238 by almous71
Well, I had things put back together but the crankshaft had turned without me realizing it, so I started tearing it apart again, and now I twisted off a cam bolt. Crap.

1981 KZ550-A2
Va.Beach, VA

• almous71
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Newbman
More
08 Sep 2013 12:27 #605541 by almous71
And of course, being an impatient newb dumba$$, I broke one of those new fangled Crafstman extractors off in the bolt. And nothing above the hole for me to grab on to to back it out.
So I guess I'll take the head off and look for a good machine shop. Should I bring the cam and caps/bolts/pins with me?
What are the chances they'll be able to remedy my screwup?
Or do I need to be lookin for a new head?

1981 KZ550-A2
Va.Beach, VA