Kz1100 rebuilt top end so much smoke

More
27 Aug 2013 22:02 #603415 by Bbydylanm
Kz1100 rebuilt top end so much smoke was created by Bbydylanm
So I rebuilt my top end to use new gaskets and when I put it back together it poored smoke out from the exhuast so I was told my rings could have been lined up and letting oil out so I rebuilt it a second time and the same thing but a little worse, I have taken it apart again and was wondering on any suggestions so I don't have to do it again.
One possible option I heard is my valves not seating right? Which I don't know how to fix but I wanna get some more opinions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2013 22:08 - 27 Aug 2013 22:09 #603416 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Kz1100 rebuilt top end so much smoke

Bbydylanm wrote: So I rebuilt my top end to use new gaskets and when I put it back together it poored smoke out from the exhuast so I was told my rings could have been lined up and letting oil out so I rebuilt it a second time and the same thing but a little worse, I have taken it apart again and was wondering on any suggestions so I don't have to do it again.
One possible option I heard is my valves not seating right? Which I don't know how to fix but I wanna get some more opinions

Perhaps one or more of the oil rings was damaged or over-lapped during reassembly.

Worn valve stem seals can also result in excessive exhaust smoke from a cold engine until attaining normal operating temperature which softens the seals and allows them to do a better job of sealing.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 27 Aug 2013 22:09 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bbydylanm

More
27 Aug 2013 22:28 #603420 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Kz1100 rebuilt top end so much smoke
Check your third oil ring to be sure the expander part hasnt over-lapped the ends. This will cause a lot of smoke...been there...done that. Be sure your ring ends are staggered so they don't line up. I think they should be about 90* apart...I think...been awhile. A newly rebuilt motor , depending on how you assembled it, can smoke a lot til it has burned off the oil in cylinder used on pistons and/or liners. Did you put pistons in dry or lube them? Patton is right too...seals will let oil in chamber til they soften up some but that doesn't usually last too long.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bbydylanm

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
28 Aug 2013 01:25 #603450 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Kz1100 rebuilt top end so much smoke
On the three piece oil ring, it is easy to bend the rings if not careful. Also the expander can actually break the end, so then there is nothing for the other end to butt up to, so No Expansion. Look very closely at the oil rings and the expanders.
Measure the end Gaps of all your rings, making sure it is within spec. Check the piston to wall clearance, and the honing has the correct cross hatch finish.
Larry says the Valve Guides come loose in the head on the J series motor, so thats another point to check. Did you have the cylinders bored with new pistons and rings, or just honed and new rings? Any head work done? Do you have the 4 o-rings around the head studs at the head gasket surface?
Here is a link to the Factory Manual for your 1100.
www.kawiworld.com/index.php?option=com_c...icle&id=77&Itemid=99

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
28 Aug 2013 07:28 #603464 by Puffin
Replied by Puffin on topic Kz1100 rebuilt top end so much smoke
Another option is if you replaced the valve stem seals, that one or more of them may not be seated correctly allowing Oil past it :evil:

KZ1000 J Long Term Owner

KZ1100

KZ1100 Spectre project

More
28 Aug 2013 09:07 #603471 by Bbydylanm
Replied by Bbydylanm on topic Kz1100 rebuilt top end so much smoke
Well it didnt breathe smoke before I took it apart and now I think it's the oil ring

More
28 Aug 2013 09:31 #603476 by Puffin
Replied by Puffin on topic Kz1100 rebuilt top end so much smoke

Bbydylanm wrote: Well it didnt breathe smoke before I took it apart and now I think it's the oil ring

But i read that you have allready torn the motor down a second time and checked this. It would then seem unlikely that it would be the cause

KZ1000 J Long Term Owner

KZ1100

KZ1100 Spectre project