Clutch issue caused by me - need help

More
30 Aug 2013 18:57 #603977 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic Clutch issue caused by me - need help
Is there anyway you can post a picture of what you have now?
It can't hurt and might be very helpful.

Mike

1974 Z1a, still 903

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2013 17:20 #604668 by 83KZ750LTD
Replied by 83KZ750LTD on topic Clutch issue caused by me - need help
Ok, I got it all figured out this weekend. The issue was a combination of a couple things. First, the clevis on the release shaft was off by 10 degrees. By bottoming out the small pushrod in the release housing and then positioning the clevis on the shaft 80 degrees in relation to the cable bracket, I was able to get full travel in the clutch lever.

The other issue was that there was quite a bit of gas in the oil. As a result, the clutch was a bit swollen and wouldn't disengage very well. I changed the oil and ran it and it worked itself out. I left the tank valve in the on position for a week or so while in storage.

My fuel valve has three positions: reserve, on, and prime. I'm still not sure which position should be used for storage just yet. But, I imagine the carbs may have a float that is sticking. I put a can of seafoam in the current tank of gas in an attempt to clear any gunk out.

Now I have to address the oil seepage issues on the outer cylinders. After my 60 mile ride this weekend, my jeans had a slight brown tint to them.

1983 KZ750-F1 LTD - 8000 miles - 2/2015 - Head gasket time!
Attachments:

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
03 Sep 2013 21:57 #604712 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Clutch issue caused by me - need help
"Prime" is to be used for starting the bike after it has set for a couple of weeks or more. "On" is only actually on when the motor is running, as there is a vacuum diaphragm which shuts the fuel off when the engine is of. "Res" is the same, but has a much lower pick up point in the tank, for when your getting low on fuel.
So if your crankcase has/ had Gas in it, the Petcock would need a rebuild kit. There is a few parts that will come in the kit, which should take care of the issue.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...