High Idle Hot Pipes Help again

• DBICK666
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1983 kz750 ltd f-1 (shaft)
More
25 Aug 2013 20:14 #603047 by DBICK666
High Idle Hot Pipes Help again was created by DBICK666
Hi i cleaned my carbs out the other day and put them back on and the bike wouldnt fire up would just keep cranking. then i took them back off the next day one carb seemed dry the other had brownish gas in it and the other one had some white junk in it. re claened the carbs again and put back together bike fired right up but now my pipes are super hot and doesnt seem like my idle adjusment knob is doing anything does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it will ride at like 2k rpm but jumps and drops randomly and smokeing hot pipes all but #2. i got 1983 kz750 f-1 ltd air pods and 132 main jet was running like a champ before the carbs were takin off i didnt do anything but a cleaning any help would be nice this is my olny transportation thanks! all boots are in good condition. if anyone knows what the float bowl hight should be that would help also

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2013 20:24 #603049 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic High Idle Hot Pipes Help again
Help us to understand. If the bike was running like a champ before you removed the carbs what symptoms led you to believe the carbs needed to be removed and cleaned? Was there some problem you were trying to fix? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• DBICK666
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Aug 2013 20:30 #603050 by DBICK666
Replied by DBICK666 on topic High Idle Hot Pipes Help again
well i have the air pods on there and i seen some of the air filter oil got in there so i cleaned them out

More
25 Aug 2013 20:36 #603053 by Haybus
Replied by Haybus on topic High Idle Hot Pipes Help again
You didn't say what type of carbs, but I would suspect you didn't clean them well enough. Brown and white junk you can see means it probably got somewhere you couldn't see. Are you removing all the carb parts (jets, floats, needle valves, etc) and verifying the passages are clear? When you have the floats on turn the carbs upside down and blow through the fuel supply tube lifting each float, 1 at a time, to verify they're both flowing and stopping. I use a piece of urethane tubing on all the passages with one end in my mouth to make sure they're all clear. You get instant feedback if something is clogged or partially blocked. Do you have a carb diagram so you know where all the jets are? If not, Sudco has many diagrams on their website. There's a nice procedure posted by Patton on many of the carb threads about checking passages.

Alan

1976 KZ900 LTD (sort of)
2005 FJR
2009 Hayabusa
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/557845...-streetfighter-build
The following user(s) said Thank You: DBICK666

• DBICK666
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Aug 2013 20:47 #603055 by DBICK666
ok thanks at least someone finialy had something that could be helpful thanks again will try when i get off work

More
26 Aug 2013 12:55 #603138 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic High Idle Hot Pipes Help again
Did you remove the airbox & install the pods?
What type or brand of pod filters? The dry type or do they need to be oiled? Old or new?
Was it running like a champ w the pod filters? And at all RPMs?
Is the Kawasaki clean air system stuff still installed?

Make sure any unused vacuum ports are capped & that the caps are good, not cracked or crumbling.
Spray carb cleaner or something around the carb holders to check for vacuum leaks.
If the rpms change, you've found a leak.

• DBICK666
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Aug 2013 20:14 #603792 by DBICK666
yes ran like crap with air box reboved box put on dry pods that i oil. stedy idle and 1100 with good throtle response changed 100 main jet with 132 got filter on rebreater hose i think and on the crank case idle doesnt change from 3k idle adjustment screw doesnt do anything but make it rev higher

More
31 Aug 2013 01:35 #604082 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic High Idle Hot Pipes Help again
Back off your throttle cable adjustments.
That might take care of your fast idle.

And you went from a #100 main jet to a (132?)main jet?

Man that is a HUGE :ohmy: jump in size just for filters.

1974 Z1a, still 903