Chain rattle fight, my home made synchro gauge.

More
16 Aug 2013 11:25 #601679 by car5car
Problem is not solved yet (didn't put everything back yet), but I found low vacuum in one cylinder most likely because of intake manifold (holder) leak.
For synchronizing I use one round vac gauge. I attached 3-way connector and 2 hoses go to 2 manifolds. I squeeze hoses in turns. I use vacuum restrictor plug to prevent gauge hand shaking: Q-tip and a few pieces of paper towel.

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2013 12:22 #601688 by 650ed
To test for the carb holder leak I suggest you try the following. Get the engine warmed up and temporarily set the idle as low as possible without killing the engine (lower than 900 rpm if possible). The lower the better because with the idle very low the slides are nearly shut and the vacuum inside the carb holders is at its highest. Then spray carb cleaner around the carb holders, especially where they mate with the cylinder head and where the carbs attach to them. Carb cleaner works best for this test as it doesn't leave an oily mess with WD40 or evaporate so quickly that it is not drawn into the leaks as can happen with propane or starting fluid (ether). If the engine dies or reacts to the carb cleaner, you need to replace the carb holders. Carb holder leak related problems are noticeable at idle but generally don't have much impact when riding because the throttle is open. If you find you need to replace the carb holders soak the screws with Kroil for a couple days before attempting to remove them, and use JIS standard, NOT Phillips, screwdriver bits, and this will greatly improve the odds that you will not break or strip a carb holder fastener as so many have done. Let me know if you you need info on JIS bits, I have a good link for making your own at no cost. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.