smoking bike!

More
13 Aug 2013 14:21 #601246 by russellm
smoking bike! was created by russellm
Greetings all,

I am new to this group and am an avid rider (HD's/Triumphs/Royal Enfield) but do not yet own a kawasaki. I am on the verge of buying my first kz1000. I am really impressed with the KZ's look and performance, and can not wait to own one. Anyhow, I found a kz1000 to buy and we are ready to close the deal, I asked for a video of the bike, the seller informed me of the following:

"I started the bike this morning and it smoked more than usual. After a five minute ride , it is still smoking from the left cylinders (1&2). Apparently is does not want to leave. I would suggest that you pass on this one unless you are ready for a rebuild soon. All I can do to try and rectify this is to lower the price which will hopefully pay for an overhaul."

Can I ask for a prompt reply to the following question: should I still purchase the bike? I'm not sure if it is blue or black smoke, and think the bike has been sitting for a while. What are your expert thoughts about this?

Thanks!
Russell

rm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2013 14:32 #601248 by russellm
Replied by russellm on topic smoking bike!
Ok, just heard back from the seller. He says it is certainly oil and not fuel, and he believes the rings need replacing. Is it worth buying or too much trouble?

rm

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
13 Aug 2013 14:34 #601249 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic smoking bike!
A bike sitting for "a while" may have perished valve stem seals and are (relatively) easily replaced. Do a dry compression test on the motor, followed by a wet test to prove/disprove leaky rings. Good luck, Paul

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

More
13 Aug 2013 16:36 #601262 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic smoking bike!
I would say it all depends on how much he is asking for the bike.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
03 Sep 2013 13:24 #604611 by russellm
Thanks for the reply. I purchased the bike and it is being shipped to me here in the UAE, should arrive sometime in October. When it gets here I will look at the compression test. Cheers.

rm

More
03 Sep 2013 13:25 #604612 by russellm

Powerstroke_fan wrote: I would say it all depends on how much he is asking for the bike.

He lowered the price to $2700, so I bought it, and its on the way to the UAE now. Cheers

rm