Valve keeper remover tool

More
13 Aug 2013 17:16 #601269 by DesertKZ
Replied by DesertKZ on topic Valve keeper remover tool

crh wrote: You're kidding yourself if you think the head doesn't need servicing when the valve seals are shot. Also getting the old seals off the guides plus getting all pieces out of the tappet bores isn't going to be easy.

For the cost of a head gasket and a few hours labor you're way ahead of the game pulling the head to do the seals and properly check the guides and valves. Anything less is just a band aid..

Only a Farmer can start with $hit and end up with something good :side:

I'm with ya. I did my valve seals a few months ago, I can't imagine doing it with the head on, it was hard enough getting those keepers in place with the head off. Very tedious stuff. Not saying it can't be done with an aired up cylinder but I don't have the patience.

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2013 17:59 #601271 by Dr. Gamma
Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic Valve keeper remover tool

crh wrote: You're kidding yourself if you think the head doesn't need servicing when the valve seals are shot. Also getting the old seals off the guides plus getting all pieces out of the tappet bores isn't going to be easy.

For the cost of a head gasket and a few hours labor you're way ahead of the game pulling the head to do the seals and properly check the guides and valves. Anything less is just a band aid..

Only a Farmer can start with $hit and end up with something good :side:

Second that!! If the valve guide seals were hard as rocks, bet you the head gasket center o-ring is also a rock!!! And is most likely on the verge of leaking within the next couple thousand miles.

I have also seen the rubber dampner blocks (92075-232) on the cam chain idler wheel shafts flat as pancakes, and hard as rocks too!!!

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kaw-a-holic

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
13 Aug 2013 23:14 #601327 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Valve keeper remover tool
There are also better quality seals out there than what were the OEM seals, back in the day. Same thing with the O-rings around the head gasket. You can chose a couple of ways to do the cam tunnel.
I would try changing the stem seals on it, if you have a good leak down test. Pretty low miles to have much worn, but you never know. one way to find out, do your tests, if it checks good, then change the seals.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
13 Aug 2013 23:32 #601332 by crh
Replied by crh on topic Valve keeper remover tool
I dunno...spend $60 on a tool that won't facilitate an easy swap and will sit on the shelf, unused afterward...or buy gaskets and check everything properly..... Just seems like a no brainer to me but what do I know.....I've only had a couple hundred of those heads apart :silly:

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
13 Aug 2013 23:40 #601333 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Valve keeper remover tool
Shouldn't need to spend money on a tool that sits on the shelf. that was just an example, as posted. Easy to make up something. Cost minimal, depending on what you already have.
12K miles, might need a total rebuild from being run low on oil, over heated, who knows. Test first I say, then make a decision based on the results.
Never seen a bad set of stem seals in your many years Larry?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
14 Aug 2013 12:18 - 14 Aug 2013 12:18 #601409 by Cuff
Replied by Cuff on topic Valve keeper remover tool
Just did the valve seals on my KZ1000 not too long ago. You don't need to take the head off or buy a tool. Made my own with some pipe lying around the shop. Cut out an area of gas pipe for an access window to the retainers and filled the cylinder I was working on with Para chord so the valves wouldn't fall in.

The old seals came out using some dental tools and needle nose pliers. Once you do one the rest are easy. Could I have taken the head off and done a full service on the valve train, yes. Did I want to, no. Stopped the smoke I was getting on start up and since I already had some seals with a gasket kit lying around total cost was $0.

Here's the tool.
[IMG
Last edit: 14 Aug 2013 12:18 by Cuff.

More
14 Aug 2013 13:03 #601414 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Valve keeper remover tool
Looks pretty simple, Cuff. How did you keep the valves from dropping down into the cylinders after removing the keepers?

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
14 Aug 2013 13:09 #601415 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Valve keeper remover tool
He shoved as much paracord or nylon rope in the cylinder as possible at BDC then raised the piston to TDCand it holds the valve. You can also take an old spark plug and make an air adapter out of it to connect to a compressor or auxiliary air tank.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
14 Aug 2013 13:19 #601417 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Valve keeper remover tool
Looks like it worked ok for you,but for the price of a head gasket and pulling the nuts off the studs and 2 bolts it would of been easier to work on in my book.
And you could have cleaned up the valves/stems and combustion chambers at the same time,since chances are pretty good that they were carboned up from that oil leaking by and burning on to them.
But as long as it worked and everybody is happy ride on. :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
14 Aug 2013 22:57 #601493 by Cuff
Replied by Cuff on topic Valve keeper remover tool
The head was coming off next year for an overhaul, bearings, valve guides and new cam chain. Just didn't want to do that so close to summer. I wanted to ride the bike not fix it. ;-)