KZ650 no power, bogs down

More
07 Aug 2013 22:16 #600343 by kawa650kz
KZ650 no power, bogs down was created by kawa650kz
My project bike had been sitting for almost a year without running as I modified it. I swapped out the coils, cleaned and gapped the points, and installed new plugs, and it fired right up. However, it feels like it just won't wind out, even when revving the engine in neutral. Just wants to bog down somewhat. Doesn't miss or stutter, just won't rev smoothly. I also noticed during my initial ride around the neighborhood that when the kickstarter was bumping into the inside of my leg (wearing shorts), felt like I was getting an electrical buzz. Guess I need to start tracing wires and see if something is grounding to the engine block/frame. Anyone think this could be my primary culprit? I did NOT gap the plugs, as I just wanted to see if I could get it fired up, and then tweak on it later. I am thinking that checking point gaps and plug gaps might help, but it feels like the timing is off with the lack of power. Never adjusted the timing on one of these bikes, although it ran fine prior to sitting. Also noticed that it seemed to be smoking more than it should when running. I will not that when it was first started, say for 20 or 30 seconds, it seemed to run fine, without bogging down... Ugh... Thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated.

78 KZ650 B2... in pieces for now...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2013 23:56 - 08 Aug 2013 08:38 #600355 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ650 no power, bogs down

kawa650kz wrote: ... noticed during my initial ride around the neighborhood that when the kickstarter was bumping into the inside of my leg (wearing shorts), felt like I was getting an electrical buzz....

Old hard cracked spark plug wires might be leaking voltage.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 08 Aug 2013 08:38 by Patton.

More
08 Aug 2013 06:30 #600369 by uncle nick
Replied by uncle nick on topic KZ650 no power, bogs down
Blocked or gummed up carbs from sitting a year?

I had that on the CSR I bought.

Good luck!

1981 KZ650 CSR

More
08 Aug 2013 11:36 #600398 by kawa650kz
Replied by kawa650kz on topic KZ650 no power, bogs down
Thanks guys... I think I will start out with the carbs and work from there

78 KZ650 B2... in pieces for now...