just not having any luck...

• drummerjoe10
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Aug 2013 21:16 #600152 by drummerjoe10
just not having any luck... was created by drummerjoe10
Ok, here goes, my 82 750csr twin was running great last time i rode, a little lean but i knew it was. I rode it for about 20 miles, took it back to my shop and parked it and then later that day when i tried to start it, it was blowing back through the carb on one cylinder. I got it to start but it would only run on one and then die, and me being the idiot i am, i didnt think to check to adjust the valves. how do you adjust the valves on this bike? cold compression was bad low, but i didnt take the test at wot and it was cold seeing as it wouldn't run to get warm. i pulled the head today just to check it out and see if i had burned a valve or valve seat which i hadnt, but when i would put the piece that goes to the carb around my mouth and blew through it i could feel and hear air coming from around the intake valve, so i put a cam on it and turned it to open the valve, cleaned some carbon out and did the blow test again and no leaks this time, im suspecting it probably needed valve adjustment and i just jumped the gun like an idiot. On top of that, i really tried to keep the cam chain tight so it wouldn't get any slack around the crank sprocket but managed to drop it and cant get the slack out so now im thinking i need to pull the pan to get the last of the slack out, any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance, im still looking to find another exhaust cam to put in place of the intake cam as i was told was a common power booster on an earlier thread, thanks for the input everyone!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2013 21:32 #600157 by hill
Replied by hill on topic just not having any luck...
Prob had carb issues,Valves may be not be in the best shape.You should put a long zip tie on the chain when you remove the head.If you go back & forth & jiggle around while holding up on chain it should go back on the crank gear.I just had my kz head off & had to play with the chain a bit more that usual,to get it back on the gear.You my be able to take valve springs off & use valve lapping compound & a drill to reseat the valves.

• drummerjoe10
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Aug 2013 21:49 #600162 by drummerjoe10
Replied by drummerjoe10 on topic just not having any luck...
the carbs are in pretty good shape aside from needing a rejetting for the 2-2 straight pipes i built for itso shes loud as hell :evil: , i think i will lap the valves, i just wanted some input on the whole thing, a valve adjustment might take care of the problem i just dont know how to adjust the valves on this bike, i dont know a whole lot about the 750 twin engines, i know the layout of it and how it works but no deep knowledge on them, thanks for the help!

More
06 Aug 2013 22:09 - 06 Aug 2013 22:13 #600165 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic just not having any luck...
This should allow access and download of KZ750 twin service manual.

Click here > kz750twins.com/?p=15

Also more info:
www.armbell.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=92...b87fb42&mforum=kz400

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 06 Aug 2013 22:13 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drummerjoe10

• drummerjoe10
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Aug 2013 22:49 #600174 by drummerjoe10
Replied by drummerjoe10 on topic just not having any luck...
awesome, thanks for the link patton, ill have on e on the way soon lol