Difficult starting

More
05 Aug 2013 00:05 #599879 by nivlac
Difficult starting was created by nivlac
I have recently went thru my carburetors on my 83 kz1100. Basic clean-up and have removed the pods and replaced the them w/ stock air box. I'm really pleased with how it is running, but startup isn't all it should be. When cold it starts in a heartbeat. Sometimes when warmed up it starts so fast I don't even hear the starter spin, other times I have to crank it a few seconds before it catches. This has started in the last couple of weeks I'm due for plug wires I'm sure. Yesterday morning I started it up and I heard a slight miss and it continued until warm up. I rebuilt the top end over the winter and put new plugs in at that time that was about 2200 miles and a month and half ago. I have a Dyna S or equivalent pick-up plate that I could install to replace the mechanical advance mechanism, it looks like a definite improvement over the stock unit however I'm unsure how to wire in the new unit to the current harness. I'm thinking my problem it a tune up issue. Any feed back would be appreciated.

1983 kz1100
1979 cb650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2013 00:21 #599884 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Difficult starting
If the bike at hand still has the stock "igniter" style ignition, and also has a mechanical timing advancer located under the points cover behind the plate where the pick-up modules are mounted -- replacement of ignition with Dyna-S will retain the advancer, but not the "igniter" which isn't used with Dyna-S.

The stock ignition, when functioning properly, is in some respects superior to the Dyna-S.

What are the plug readings?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
05 Aug 2013 01:14 #599894 by nivlac
Replied by nivlac on topic Difficult starting
I'll check it out after work tomorrow.

1983 kz1100
1979 cb650