Finally got to ride today! More questions now.

More
10 Aug 2013 22:35 #600739 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Finally got to ride today! More questions now.
I have done 3 sets of these Mikunis, 2 on my GS and 1 for my GPz. I only had to do each one once, but I followed the guide meticulously. Disassemble, dip, finish cleaning, replace all o-rings, re-assemble, bench synch, bike synch, set pilot mixture screws, ride the blazes out of it.
I never even had to clean the Keheins on my KZ, so I find the Mikunis quite irritating. But there must be a reason that performance engines use them, IDK.
But you have to soak them in carb dip or use an ultrasonic cleaner, plus carb cleaner and compressed air to finish up. Over on GSR, we have so many newbies that try to use carb cleaner only and wonder why their Mikunis don't perform correctly. Totally different architecture.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• david-b
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I am THAT guy
More
12 Aug 2013 11:39 - 12 Aug 2013 11:39 #601012 by david-b
Thank you for the responses. I had cleaned the carbs when I rebuilt them. Took about 2 weeks (stripped paint off them) to get done. That included dipping, replacing every parts that could be, all new rebuild kit (stock), taking little brushes and wire through every little hole and passage and sprayed cleaner and air through everything as well. Followed a rebuild guide that was found on here.
I've rebuilt numerous carbs off cars so not my first carb-related cleaning/rebuild.

Valves will need to get done. Never done them before so will have to see how to do that.

Not done a compression test yet.

It does have pods which I know from reading that causes issues and I'm trying to find a stock airbox (hard to find ones in good shape for cheap). But I don't see any issues with starting like I'm having. Seems like everyone has running issues with pods.

/Dave

2013 Chevy Sonic LT 1.4L Turbo
1982 Kawasaki KZ750-H3 LTD
1975 Monte Carlo 400sbc
Last edit: 12 Aug 2013 11:39 by david-b.

More
12 Aug 2013 12:03 - 12 Aug 2013 12:05 #601014 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Finally got to ride today! More questions now.
You can keep your pods if you install a DynoJet Stage 1 kit .
I have pods and a pipe on my 83 (basically the same engine) and I have no starting issues with it.
But you do have to tune it once you install it.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2013 12:05 by koolaid_kid.

• david-b
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I am THAT guy
More
12 Aug 2013 12:16 #601017 by david-b
Well I'm trying to get the bike as close to stock as possible. Want to restore her to as close as original as possible. Probably going to sell it then.

/Dave

2013 Chevy Sonic LT 1.4L Turbo
1982 Kawasaki KZ750-H3 LTD
1975 Monte Carlo 400sbc