Knocking sound at low idle

• phillyman2633
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Jul 2013 10:57 #598372 by phillyman2633
Knocking sound at low idle was created by phillyman2633
Hey everyone, first post here.

I recently bought a 1982 KZ750N Spectre. It's my first bike and I've only had it a week, so I'm pretty new to the game.

The bike is in great cosmetic shape and seems to be pretty mechanically sound to me except for one thing. When I first start it up, there is a strange tapping sound coming from the engine. I changed the oil the day after I got it, and being as how I live in steaming hot Florida, I filled it with 20W-50. The tapping sound usually goes away after I ride for about 5 minutes or so and get the engine warmed up. This makes me think that maybe it's normal, since it doesn't happen all the time. Idle is about 1025 or so, within the 1050 plus/minus 50 prescribed in the repair manual.

Any ideas?

Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49% - Thomas Jefferson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2013 21:07 #598449 by rixtrix
Replied by rixtrix on topic Knocking sound at low idle
My guess would be the valve clearances. Maybe a little loose and as it warms and the metal expands it quiets down ?

1982 GPz1100

More
26 Jul 2013 21:44 #598455 by goodfastncheap
Replied by goodfastncheap on topic Knocking sound at low idle
What's the mileage on the engine?

1979 KZ650 B3
KZ Relay Rider #54, Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas

More
26 Jul 2013 22:07 #598459 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Knocking sound at low idle
Is the noise coming from the gearbox rather than the engine ? Put a big long screwdriver to various parts of the motor and put the handle to your ear - crude mechanics stethescope but it works.

The primary chain in the gearbox connects the crankshaft to gear shafts or clutch and rattles quite a bit. Mine used to sound like a bag of hammers and synching the carbs helps lessen the rattle. Hopefully something simple like this

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
27 Jul 2013 00:28 #598491 by goodfastncheap
Replied by goodfastncheap on topic Knocking sound at low idle
If the bike is running strong, I would take a long ride and change the oil (15-40 Rotella) and listen again. A little clatter is kinda normal, right? If it's valve noise the thing would be a dog.

1979 KZ650 B3
KZ Relay Rider #54, Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
27 Jul 2013 16:49 #598579 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic Knocking sound at low idle
Carb sync helped me big time when i got my kz but i knew the valves were good

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

• phillyman2633
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jul 2013 18:34 #598600 by phillyman2633
Replied by phillyman2633 on topic Knocking sound at low idle
Hmmm not quite sure where the sound is coming from exactly, I didn't get down there to see but I'll try the screwdriver trick...I'm going to go out and mess around with it tommorrow, been wanting to bleed the brakes and Seafoam it (unrelated, I know).

Engine has 9000 miles on it.

Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49% - Thomas Jefferson

• The_Proletariat
  • User
  • "Cocaine is a hell of a drug"
More
27 Jul 2013 20:34 #598627 by The_Proletariat
Replied by The_Proletariat on topic Knocking sound at low idle
That's primary chain noise. A carb sync will help.

It should go away as the bike warms up.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD

• phillyman2633
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Jul 2013 13:00 #599221 by phillyman2633
Thanks for the advice guys. It sounds like it's coming from the very bottom of the engine, maybe the transmission. After talking with a couple of small engine mechanics where I work, I think that the assumption that it's the primary chain is correct. One of the guys also mentioned that when I turn on the bike with the choke, the bike should idle higher than normal, because of all the extra fuel being dumped in the carbs. He says he would imagine it should idle at around 2000 whereas book says normal is 1050. However, idle with choke is usually around 750, and if I walk away without holding the throttle open for the 1st minute, it has a tendency to drop and drop and putter and die. If I hold it around 1500 until it warms up, it seems to have no problem with it. Any ideas on this?

Also, I have a post up in the electrical forum, I had some unrelated problems yesterday if anyone would like to take a look: www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/59031...fuse-amperage#599219

Again, thanks to everyone on here. I used to own a 49cc scooter and was always asking questions on the ScootDawg forums, it's the awesome people like you that help me troubleshoot and save myself an assload of money at a repair shop.

More
31 Jul 2013 13:35 #599227 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Knocking sound at low idle
After the bike is completely warmed up what rpm does it idle at with the choke off Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• phillyman2633
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Jul 2013 17:01 #599254 by phillyman2633

650ed wrote: After the bike is completely warmed up what rpm does it idle at with the choke off Ed

Idles at just over 1000 when warmed up