finding smoke

More
25 Jul 2013 19:44 #598265 by nickleo373
finding smoke was created by nickleo373
Hey everyone.
My 81 kz550 has been smoking from the right side of the bike between the stator cover crankcase and exhaust pipe. I can't figure outeexactly where its coming from. I feel like if it was the exhaust system both sides would smoke but it only happens on the right side. Does anyone know a way to figure out exactly where the smoke is coming from?
Thanks

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2013 23:18 #598299 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic finding smoke
If the smoke is coming from the front of the engine near the #3 / #4 exhaust pipes it may just be the tachometer drive oil seal leaking. This is very common and very easy & inexpensive to fix. I suggest you clean the area really well and go for a ride for several miles. Then check to see if the area around the tach cable connection is beginning to show some oil. If so, replace the tach oil seal, gasket, and o-ring. The parts are all still available and should cost right around $10 total. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
26 Jul 2013 00:01 #598308 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic finding smoke
The smoke is coming from near the hole where you check the oil. I can't tell if it's coming from the exhaust pipe the stator or the crankcase because they're all so close together.

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"