Kerker End Cap and Baffle Removal Procedure - How?

• GPZ1100_Rider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Jul 2013 18:53 #598114 by GPZ1100_Rider
Hi:

I'm doing some work to my '81 GPz1100 that I've had for a few years now. It has always had a Kerker exhaust on it, and is looking ratty, so I want to clean it up and repack it. However, I can't get the muffler cap off to disassemble it. Very irksome!

I have soaked where the muffler cap and the ID of the muffler interface with PB Blaster penetrating oil for days, then heated up up the outside of the muffler with a propane torch where I suspect they are fused together with 30 years of rust, but I can't budge the cap. And yes, I have removed the screw that holds the cap in. The smaller diameter inner pipe is loose and rattles, but that is it.

If anyone has run into this before and has the magic elixir for the cap's removal, I'd very much appreciate knowing how it's done. I have tools, but I am not well-stocked, such as a slide hammer. Suppose I could rent one though.

Thanks in advance.

Marty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2013 21:48 #598134 by asevans
Just done this to a new kerker, and have taken. Cap off an old one before.
Remove megaphone. If the baffle is in there it will be sticking out the end that connects to the header. I just turned itupside down and hit the smaller pipe onto a piece of wood on a concrete floor. The baffle and cap will come out together. If just the cap is in there. Then take a piece of Fodor rebar and stick it inside from the header end and tap on it all around and it will come out. There is nothing else holding that stuff in. Just the end cap screw.

Aaron

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.