Power dying off

• rj4n
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
24 Jul 2013 11:27 #598048 by rj4n
Power dying off was created by rj4n
Hey, I've only used newer bikes until now, I picked up a 750 inline 4 ltd awhile ago, was running great until it wasn't - The bike still runs well and starts well, except at higher rpm it sputters and loses power. I make more power at 6k rpm than 8k rpm, and it'll no longer fill 4th gear, it just tapers off. Checked my petcock it flows well. Working a lot and just trying to make best use of my time. Should i leave the valves to last to check and my next step ripping apart carbs and looking for a rust block etc, new plugs, and cleaned wires. Couldn't order replacement caps. so just used di-electrode cleaner and sand paper to make sure i had no corrosion or rusty wires. Just wondering what the main thing i should be checking is.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2013 11:37 #598050 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Power dying off
It could be the battery. I do a high-beam test.

It could be the coils. Ride the bike at high speeds, then pull over & check them to see if they are getting hot to the touch - press hard w your fingers. Don't get burned by the valve cover. They should be warm but not hot.

A defective petcock can cause the bike to run bad. Try switching to PRI & cap off the vac line.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rj4n

More
24 Jul 2013 11:44 #598057 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Power dying off
Battery or coils were my thoughts. Coils can be kind of a pain to diagnose when they're not completely failed. I'd check your bike's voltage across the RPM range and make sure it looks ok, and if it does, then I'd look into the coils a bit more.

I know you can measure the resistance across your coils and check if it's ok. If you're having more of an intermittent problem that may or may not show up, but it's easy enough to check. Grab an ohm-meter and check resistance between the leads on it. Not sre if yours uses the same coils as my 750, but mine come out to 3 ohm.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
24 Jul 2013 15:43 #598088 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Power dying off
When was the last time you cleaned and lubed the timing advancer? If the answer is "I don't know" that could very well be the problem. If the timing advancer is sticking it can cause the symptoms you describe. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• rj4n
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
24 Jul 2013 22:27 #598146 by rj4n
Replied by rj4n on topic Power dying off
Thanks for the ideas guys, battery is fine, and i'd assume carbs would still be fine as they were a very short time ago, coils or timing advancer seems a good next place to look. I'll check the coils on the weekend, and take a peek at that timing advancer, as it doesn't happen until the higher rpm range advancer seems likely to me.