• david-b
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I am THAT guy
More
23 Jul 2013 17:51 #597936 by david-b
Trouble going into gear was created by david-b
Hey all;
Still working on getting my 82 GPz750 running right. She'll idle for the most part right now and run decent. When I put her into 1st it'll click right down from neutral no problem. However, when I try to click up, sometimes i feels stuck. I try to roll it a little while doing, and no change. Yesterday, I actually had to lift up on the shifter with my hand and give it quite a bit of force just to get it up.

So the question is... what would cause this? Bad clutch?

Also, thinking about getting rid of the bike. Thinking that it's a little too much bike for just starting off, and I already have too many other projects (75 monte carlo). I just want to ride. Any ideas on how much I can get for a bike like this that's in decent shape, but needs work?

/Dave

2013 Chevy Sonic LT 1.4L Turbo
1982 Kawasaki KZ750-H3 LTD
1975 Monte Carlo 400sbc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2013 18:13 #597941 by mike0537
Replied by mike0537 on topic Trouble going into gear
First check for proper oil level and type. I know with the wrong oil these clutches wont function properly. Second check clutch cable adjustment and operation. My bike did the same thing when I first got it and it was just a clutch cable out of adjustment.

1980 KZ750E

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
23 Jul 2013 19:14 #597953 by TomW
Replied by TomW on topic Trouble going into gear
Those GPZ's are DANGEROUS!! :evil: PM with your steet address and I'll drive down to Chicago and get it out of your way before it bites you. :whistle: ;)

Seriously if you decide to unload it, decide what you need to get for it and we'll discuss a deal. I'm looking for my next project and a 750 GPZ is on my short list.

BTW, the transmission is designed NOT to go into 2nd gear until the bike is rolling. It's called a "positive neutral finder".

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

More
23 Jul 2013 22:21 - 23 Jul 2013 22:22 #597980 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Trouble going into gear
Did you jam it from first to neutral, or from neutral to second gear?

KD9JUR
Last edit: 23 Jul 2013 22:22 by steell.

• david-b
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I am THAT guy
More
24 Jul 2013 13:34 #598069 by david-b
Replied by david-b on topic Trouble going into gear

TomW wrote: Those GPZ's are DANGEROUS!! :evil: PM with your steet address and I'll drive down to Chicago and get it out of your way before it bites you. :whistle: ;)

Seriously if you decide to unload it, decide what you need to get for it and we'll discuss a deal. I'm looking for my next project and a 750 GPZ is on my short list.

BTW, the transmission is designed NOT to go into 2nd gear until the bike is rolling. It's called a "positive neutral finder".

If you're serious, I may be game for this. We can talk.

I'm not even talking about going into 2nd. Coming back up from 1st to neutral it'll stick hard. It's like it won't move. I'll have to check out the clutch adjustments and how to do that. Assuming its in the manual.

/Dave

1975 Monte Carlo 400sbc

• david-b
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I am THAT guy
More
30 Jul 2013 12:08 #599075 by david-b
Replied by david-b on topic Trouble going into gear
You can feel the clutch engage disengage when pressing the hand grip, and when the bike is running it engages at about the same point as the other bikes I've been on. I'm hoping to actually drive it down the alley this coming weekend and see if it shift right. Was playing with it yesterday and it was having issues just popping down to first, even with some light pushing (with bike off). Like the shifter wants to go down, but not popping all the way down out of neutral. It's weird, but will continue to look at it.

I know the previous owner never had an issue shifting when riding so maybe it just has to on and moving. We shall see, hoping that she runs and stays running while on it.

/Dave

1975 Monte Carlo 400sbc