messed up clutch

More
22 Jul 2013 22:11 #597798 by dan123
messed up clutch was created by dan123
i just finished putting the front end of my bike back together so i jumped on and took a ride through the neighborhood. the bike was having a real hard time getting into first gear, i could get it rolling in the friction zone for a bit but the engine would bog out and stall if i released the clutch all the way. it might have just been that the engine was running weak or something because it seemed to get better before i stopped. anyway, i had not adjusted the clutch properly beforehand so i took out my manual and followed the directions for adjusting the clutch cable. when i pulled in the clutch lever to try it out i heard a snap/pop noise and the lever went slack. i quickly realized that i followed the directions for the wrong model and the process is almost the exact opposite for my 82 550ltd :blink:. i took off the clutch cover and a bunch of small pebble looking things fell out and were sitting at the bottom of the case. i had to stop there unfortunately because the sun was going down and i have to work outside. i assume that those where chunks of friction plate but i dont know anything about clutches so i could be wrong. if any of you know what i messed up or broke that would be really helpful in getting this bike back up and running in a timely fashion. if history repeats itself it will take me forever to figure it out on my own. thanks guys

1982 kz550C LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2013 22:22 - 22 Jul 2013 22:24 #597801 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic messed up clutch

dan123 wrote: ...had not adjusted the clutch properly...heard a snap/pop noise and the lever went slack...followed the directions for the wrong model and the process is almost the exact opposite for my 82 550ltd :blink:. i took off the clutch cover and a bunch of small pebble looking things fell out and were sitting at the bottom of the case....

:unsure: Possibly speaking of the sprocket cover as opposed to the clutch cover?

:unsure: Perhaps small ball bearings popped out of the clutch actuator (when over-stressed)?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 22 Jul 2013 22:24 by Patton.

More
22 Jul 2013 23:42 #597813 by dan123
Replied by dan123 on topic messed up clutch
no everything looked okay on the sprocket side. it was when I opened the clutch cover when the chunks of stuff came out

1982 kz550C LTD

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
23 Jul 2013 10:08 #597854 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic messed up clutch

dan123 wrote: no everything looked okay on the sprocket side. it was when I opened the clutch cover when the chunks of stuff came out

Pictures?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
23 Jul 2013 10:34 #597860 by dan123
Replied by dan123 on topic messed up clutch
the friction plates all look fine so im stumped, i will try and get pictures out soon

1982 kz550C LTD