Magic trick to put clutch return back on?

More
22 Jul 2013 20:58 - 22 Jul 2013 21:49 #597781 by Mk508
Amidst dropping the engine out to repair snapped exhaust studs, I took the clutch return / drive gear case off. Now I'll be darned if I can get the clutch lever to return to normal.

Behind the small panel held on by 2 hex bolts there's a locking nut and screw. If the tension isn't right, you can adjust it again, but then it seems like you have to take the case off again to reset the rotor thing. Put it back on, tighten screw & locknut, rinse, repeat.

So basically, when I pull the lever in, it never returns. (cue Twilight Zone music)

That's what I've been doing for the last 4 hours. Not sure how to make it work again.
Is there a trick to adjusting this thing back to it's normal position?

Edit: Also, the factory manual, Clymer, et al.. are of no use in this situation.

1983 KZ550-A4
Last edit: 22 Jul 2013 21:49 by Mk508.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2013 23:35 #597809 by Beaner242
Replied by Beaner242 on topic Magic trick to put clutch return back on?
Make sure your case is seated completely flat when you put it back on. If the bottom is not seated because of that dowel sticking out your clutch will not work right.

1982 KZ1000K LTD Chopper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mk508

More
24 Jul 2013 18:53 #598113 by Mk508
Replied by Mk508 on topic Magic trick to put clutch return back on?
Thanks for the reply. The casing is seated and even screwed back on (hex nuts).
Can get it so the clutch lever doesn't pull at all, but if I adjust the flathead screw or the locking nut around the screw, then pull the clutch, it just sticks in. Then have to remove case, "reset" the rotor/gyro thingamabob (thing with 3 bearings - shown in picture).

Strangely it works while the case is off, so does that have something to do with the screw?

It's so seemingly simple, yet so puzzling.
Going to try it again now and pray it starts working, it's one of the last things that needs to be done :)

1983 KZ550-A4
Attachments:

More
24 Jul 2013 22:18 #598144 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Magic trick to put clutch return back on?
Is there a worm screw behind the three bearing thingamabob? If so set it back one tooth.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mk508

More
31 Jul 2013 20:12 #599305 by Mk508

roy-b-boy-b wrote: Is there a worm screw behind the three bearing thingamabob? If so set it back one tooth.

Yes, there is a screw but it doesn't have teeth. The Factory Service Manual says loosen nut, turn screw all the way left til tight, turn half turn forward, tighten nut. Have tried around 100 positions, as well as adjusting tension on the cable in 3 places (lever, the shortener in the middle of the cable, and the actual return mechanism itself). The lever either has no give at all or it can be pulled and won't pop back out.

1983 KZ550-A4
Attachments:

More
31 Jul 2013 23:00 #599345 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Magic trick to put clutch return back on?
Does it have a ball bearing on the far end of the clutch rod ?

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
15 Sep 2013 20:38 #606590 by Mk508

roy-b-boy-b wrote: Does it have a ball bearing on the far end of the clutch rod ?

Yes. It has a cylindrical piece with three encased bearings

1983 KZ550-A4

More
15 Sep 2013 21:28 #606597 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic Magic trick to put clutch return back on?
Try this, I "think I see whats going on"
Wipe out the gunk from where the 3 balls run, both sides in there, put on a drop of grease and rub it around for a THIN coat.

Now back off the locknut and back out the adjuster screw. Maybe several turns but you don't have to take it out.

NOT put the cover on while you give the clutch arm a bit of a wiggle,
you want those balls down into the bottom of those ramps.

You can feel it.

Then adjust your clutch starting from the bottom and work your way up the cable.

1974 Z1a, still 903