No weight mark on connecting rods?!?!

More
22 Jul 2013 07:59 - 22 Jul 2013 08:37 #597669 by pbmax
1979 kz750 twin

My rods have scoring from the wrist pins so I'm replacing them.

However, my used replace rods do not have any markings on them to correctly match the cap to the rod. These pieces are machined together and need to be bolted together.

My old rods have a "J" stamped on the side were the two pieces meet. I think the manual calls it a weight mark. Using that marking, its easy to match the cap to its rod.

But as I said, my replacement rods have no stamp at all! Anyone seen this before?
Last edit: 22 Jul 2013 08:37 by pbmax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
22 Jul 2013 10:08 #597677 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic No weight mark on connecting rods?!?!
True, these are matched, cap to rod. If you can't figure which one goes to another, then take them to a machinist for resizing/ check for size. A decent scale will let you know if they are paired for weight. The machinist can check that also. If they are good, then it shouldn't cost much. Rod resizing is usually only like $10 a rod.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
22 Jul 2013 10:09 #597678 by pbmax
Replied by pbmax on topic No weight mark on connecting rods?!?!
After looking more closely at the old rods, the mark is not stamped. Its just ink that can rub off fairly easily.

I think I have them on in the right direction using other markings on the parts. I'll just have to trust they are paired up correctly.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
22 Jul 2013 10:14 #597680 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic No weight mark on connecting rods?!?!
You should have them checked at a machine shop, to be sure that they are sized correctly anyway. Cheap, and piece of mind at least.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...