Wits end with 82 KZ550 LTD

• SteyrTMP
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
21 Jul 2013 20:28 #597600 by SteyrTMP
Wits end with 82 KZ550 LTD was created by SteyrTMP
Having trouble with my 82 KZ550 LTD C3. As soon as I crank it it idles really high - around 4k RPMs. If I ride it for a little it'll run for about a mile, and then it'll die as soon as I let the throttle off and refuse to start again. It started acting like this after a long ride - around 400 miles, with plenty of breaks but all in the same day. The last 60 miles or so I was doing about 90 to avoid the rain, and when I got off the highway that's when I discovered the high RPM issue. The stalling thing is more recent, happened after I let it sit for a week or so. I've recently cleaned the carbs, sealed the air intake (air intake leak was a leading suspect), and inspected every little thing I can think of. Earlier today it seemed to run perfectly for a few minutes, right before it ran out of gas. After refueling it started up again. Also, might be unrelated but it seems like pipes 1 & 2 are running significantly colder than 3 & 4, with less exhaust pressure on the left. for the 5 minutes it was running fine the pressure and temp seemed to be more equal.

Any ideas? I'm just about ready to call a priest to perform an exorcism on the thing. :pinch:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2013 20:36 #597604 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Wits end with 82 KZ550 LTD
Sounds like you have multiple issues going on. I recommend you start at the beginning. That means compression check and valve clearance check. Before the valve clearance check, read the warning page linked in my signature. It also has a better diagram for timing the valves after a clearance adjustment if it needs it.

The symptom of dying out after it warms up can be valve clearance related.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.