Burning through oil like crazy/ bubbling noise

More
21 Jul 2013 20:17 #597597 by Slowpoke
I just got my bike up and running and I replaced the oil and filter about 2 months ago, and have barely ridden it. My oil was in the middle of the two marks and I rid it up and down the street, for a total of 4 minutes maybe, and my oil had dropped to the low mark. I put an entire quart in it and ran it again, and it dropped down to the low level AGAIN. It's got some white smoke rockin', but that seems almost impossible to burn that much. It also makes what sounds like a bubbling noise, Which I've never heard in a bike before. Any ideas? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2013 20:35 #597602 by 650ed
After your 4 minute ride, how long did you let it sit before checking the oil? Sometimes mine takes quite a while for the oil level to settle down. Since adding the quart, have you let the bike sit overnight and then checked the oil level? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
25 Jul 2013 18:47 #598255 by Slowpoke
Replied by Slowpoke on topic Burning through oil like crazy/ bubbling noise
Just went out and checked, it's been sitting for 2 days or so, and it's low. The oil is sitting just under the "low" tick mark on the crankcase.

Also, I bought the bike in Arizona and road it a bit (when it did run) and it was a quiet bike. To get it to my house I had to take the exhaust pipes off, and now it sounds like a loud drag bike. The exhaust split keepers looked pretty rusted and beat up, and I think that's the problem. Am I right in thinking that, and if so, where can I buy new ones? Z1 Enterprises doesn't have them from what I found.

Really appreciate all the help, this website is a lifesaver.

More
25 Jul 2013 20:50 #598272 by 650ed

Slowpoke wrote: Just went out and checked, it's been sitting for 2 days or so, and it's low. .....To get it to my house I had to take the exhaust pipes off, and now it sounds like a loud drag bike...

Did you run the engine with the pipes off?

You should add your bike's year and model to your signature line. Otherwise there's no way to tell you where to buy parts because different KZ models use different split keepers. Add it to the signature line and you never need to remember to include it in your text, plus others don't need to search for it. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
26 Jul 2013 09:57 #598361 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Burning through oil like crazy/ bubbling noise
Are you checking the oil w the bike level? Ie, on the center stand or holding level if no main stand?

More
06 Aug 2013 21:33 #600158 by Slowpoke
Replied by Slowpoke on topic Burning through oil like crazy/ bubbling noise
Sorry about the long wait for the response. The bubbling noise was just from my exhaust leaking. I didn't run it with the pipes out. That'd be dumb haha. Big surprise though, my valves were funked, and I don't have the tools and shite to do shim under bucket type, so I took it to a shop. They're going to be ordering the split keepers and letting me know where they got them from. After that though it should be road worthy, and I can hopefully get some riding in before the snow flies.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
06 Aug 2013 21:42 #600160 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Burning through oil like crazy/ bubbling noise
To bad its not running now. As the Relay Flag is just about to your area. Its in Montana heading to Boise soon.
:)

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...