Getting frustrated

More
21 Jul 2013 17:10 #597575 by 80kz550A1
Getting frustrated was created by 80kz550A1
KZ550A1 1980
Okay so just fixed my clutch problem now have another. Didn't ride the bike for about two weeks, go to take a ride with my buddy. Anything past 1/8-1/4 throttle it was cutting out. Figured carbs needed to be cleaned since i haven't cleaned them this year. Found a whole bunch of rust in the bottom of the bowls. Cleaned them all up. Sync them with the wire method stated in the Factory service manual. Bench set the float height with the clear tube. Also installed a spare tank i have that doesn't have any rust guess my other one did that i couldnt see. Installed the carbs and starts up way better and idles better. But that didnt solve my missing problem. All 4 cylinders are getting spark. Im a bit stumped. Guna test the coils tomorrow at work. They are dyna green 3.0 ohm coils and i have a dyna s ignition.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2013 00:25 #597647 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Getting frustrated
Compression test?

Valve clearances within specs?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
25 Jul 2013 19:10 #598260 by 80kz550A1
Replied by 80kz550A1 on topic Getting frustrated
everything is good. dont even know where to start now.I found vacuum leaks between the carb holders and head.i fixed that and still no change. If I roll into the throttle it doesnt miss fire. That was leaning me towards it being the float height but thats within spec. Also am running the bike on prime.

More
25 Jul 2013 20:22 #598267 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic Getting frustrated
there's cleaning and there is cleaning.... with rust particles in the bowl they could be every where in the circuits, sounds like you need a full disassembly and ultrasound cleaning of the bodies. a bit late to tell that a simple in line fuel filter could have saved a lot of frustration...

dont think your problem would be compression or valve clearances,

was the bike carburating perfectly two weeks ago?

More
28 Jul 2013 12:58 - 28 Jul 2013 13:03 #598699 by 80kz550A1
yes it was running good besides start up had to give it a little gas. now it fires right up! but still running exactly the same as before i cleaned the carbs. i used compressed air to clean out all passages in the carbs. im thinking its something ignition related.i tested the coils and they are fine and so is the dyna s ignition i have installed. really stumped on this one. if i give it easy throttle it will rev all the way up without cutting out. its really odd. any tips on testing the ignition under load some how? Also could the emissions crap cause this?
Last edit: 28 Jul 2013 13:03 by 80kz550A1.

More
28 Jul 2013 13:01 #598700 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Getting frustrated

turboguzzi wrote: there's cleaning and there is cleaning.... with rust particles in the bowl they could be every where in the circuits, sounds like you need a full disassembly and ultrasound cleaning of the bodies. a bit late to tell that a simple in line fuel filter could have saved a lot of frustration...

dont think your problem would be compression or valve clearances,

was the bike carburating perfectly two weeks ago?

I have to agree with this. There is no telling which passages may be blocked at this point. It is far better to just start over at the beginning rather that trying to patch things up.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
28 Jul 2013 13:06 #598702 by 80kz550A1
okay well guess i need to find a place that has a sonic cleaner. i have another set of carbs i used for a few parts like a bowl and choke plate. they were very clean and came off a running bike apparently ill clean those up and try them see if anything changes. thanks for the idea ill get back with results

More
28 Jul 2013 13:15 #598703 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Getting frustrated
Harbor freight sells ultrasonic cleaners. I picked one up on sale for pretty cheap.

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

More
28 Jul 2013 15:14 #598712 by turboking
Replied by turboking on topic Getting frustrated

80kz550A1 wrote: KZ550A1 1980
Okay so just fixed my clutch problem now have another. Didn't ride the bike for about two weeks, go to take a ride with my buddy. Anything past 1/8-1/4 throttle it was cutting out. Figured carbs needed to be cleaned since i haven't cleaned them this year. Found a whole bunch of rust in the bottom of the bowls. Cleaned them all up. Sync them with the wire method stated in the Factory service manual. Bench set the float height with the clear tube. Also installed a spare tank i have that doesn't have any rust guess my other one did that i couldnt see. Installed the carbs and starts up way better and idles better. But that didnt solve my missing problem. All 4 cylinders are getting spark. Im a bit stumped. Guna test the coils tomorrow at work. They are dyna green 3.0 ohm coils and i have a dyna s ignition.

rust in carb bowls :pinch: ......... :pinch: you need to address the rust in the fuel tank or you will be cleaning your carbs in a short time again...... no filter made stops the rust from going through the carbs. :S :S :huh: all rust must be removed.....then you can deal with the carbs... :dry: my .02

2005 Kawasaki mean streak
2000 325 H.P. mcXpress turbo Hayabusa
1979 kz 1000 mk II ATP turbo
1975 Z1 960 cc Mr. Turbo
1975 Z1 1428 big block ATP turbo
1976 Kz900 1103 cc ATP turbo
1985 GS 1150E
1983 GS 1100E
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
2001 Kawasaki EX 500 Ninja
1972 Honda cb750 (836cc turbo)

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
28 Jul 2013 16:22 #598718 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Getting frustrated
Stock up on inline fuel filters and dump a big can of sea foam in the tank,take it out and run a couple tanks of gas through it and see if it helps.

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
28 Jul 2013 18:54 #598752 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Getting frustrated
You can also use a carb dip, such as Berryman's. Around $20 at Walmart.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
28 Jul 2013 21:29 #598780 by 80kz550A1

turboking wrote:

80kz550A1 wrote: KZ550A1 1980

rust in carb bowls :pinch: ......... :pinch: you need to address the rust in the fuel tank or you will be cleaning your carbs in a short time again...... no filter made stops the rust from going through the carbs. :S :S :huh: all rust must be removed.....then you can deal with the carbs... :dry: my .02

i swapped to a spare tank with no rust in it. im surprised the rust got past the very fine screen on the petcock. i have installed a new inline fuel filter.