Hairline Crack in Cylinder Head Temp Fix

More
16 Jul 2013 09:06 #596721 by swaluda
I have oil slowly oozing out of my riders side left cylinder head. Do they make a aluminum weld type epoxy I can use until I find a new head? Beside that the bike runs strong, Thanks Stan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2013 09:36 #596724 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Hairline Crack in Cylinder Head Temp Fix
Please add your bike's year & model to your signature line. Knowing what you are riding makes helping you MUCH easier. Regarding the leak - are you positive the head is cracked and can you provide photos. A cracked cylinder head is an uncommon problem on a stock motor; could it be oil leaking from a joint or seam and migrating along a casting mark that makes it look like a crack? I ask because saw a photo of such a leak before. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
16 Jul 2013 10:56 #596740 by swaluda
Replied by swaluda on topic Hairline Crack in Cylinder Head Temp Fix
Ed, its a 82 Kawa 1100 d2 spectre bike, its a really fine leak, i'll check it out more closely though, Thanks

More
16 Jul 2013 12:29 #596747 by car5car
Replied by car5car on topic Hairline Crack in Cylinder Head Temp Fix
I guess, it is outside leak, I would use JBWeld.

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920

• The_Proletariat
  • User
  • "Cocaine is a hell of a drug"
More
18 Jul 2013 22:45 #597207 by The_Proletariat
Replied by The_Proletariat on topic Hairline Crack in Cylinder Head Temp Fix
There is also Alumaweld rods...

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD

More
18 Jul 2013 23:25 #597221 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Hairline Crack in Cylinder Head Temp Fix
Either one of you ever seen a cracked head on a stock KZ? I haven't, but I have seen a 750 with the valley on the front of the motor where the head meets the block, filled with RTV to stop a head gasket leak. Obviously didn't work.

And I have a 750 twin motor with a casting flaw in the case, right on top a oil galley, that was a steady leak. Epoxy fixed that one. But have never seen a cracked KZ head on a stock bike.

IIRC, the 1100's have oil passages surrounding the two head bolts on the left side. so one of them might be leaking at the top or bottom of the block.

KD9JUR

More
19 Jul 2013 00:23 #597232 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic Hairline Crack in Cylinder Head Temp Fix
I have one in the trunk of my car. The crack runs from the #4 spark plug hole out to the side of the head, through all of the cooling fins. I bought it thinking the head was repairable. It's not.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike

More
19 Jul 2013 01:31 #597245 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Hairline Crack in Cylinder Head Temp Fix
I should add that cracks in the combustion chamber don't count.

As far as the busted head in the trunk, how did it get broke?

Someone screw up trying to re-thread the spark plug hole?

KD9JUR

More
19 Jul 2013 01:41 #597247 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic Hairline Crack in Cylinder Head Temp Fix
I don't know exactly how it happened, but it looks like there might have been a defect in the head and the thing just let go - The gap on the crack is unbelievably wide and, like I said, goes all the way to the edges of all three cooling fins. It's wider in the combustion chamber than outside, but it's still a ridiculous crack.

The guy I bought it from said "rebuildable, some welding may be required." He was apparently confused. The "good news" is that it's heavy enough that I should be able to almost get what I paid for it as scrap aluminum.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike

More
19 Jul 2013 07:09 #597259 by crh

swaluda wrote: Ed, its a 82 Kawa 1100 d2 spectre bike, its a really fine leak, i'll check it out more closely though, Thanks

Clean the are suspected of leaking to remove ALL oil traces. Spray it with spray foot powder. Turn the idle up to 2000 RPM and plug the crank case breather. Watch for the spot where the powder turns brown first.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
24 Jul 2013 00:21 #598000 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Hairline Crack in Cylinder Head Temp Fix
Post up some real clear pic's. Like Steel said, the oil comes up the head studs and there are O-rings there at the head gasket, 4. These can leak. The o-ring at the cam chain tunnel is a common leak. These would require pulling the head and fitting new o-rings and head gasket. Might wan to do the base gasket to as you'll disturb it, pulling the head. Also there is a tack drive seal on most models except the LTD and A2 sport touring which use electric tachs. The Tach drive oil seal is real common. Then of course there is just the valve cover gasket, and those pesky 1/2 moon end seals. Those like to seep a bit. When was the valve clearances checked last? It might have a leak from those 1/2 moon seals or valve cover gasket. Finally, i've seen a weep of oil from the small oil galley plug, right on the end of the head, near the 1/2 moon seals. Its a small like 6mm plug that gets driven in to place, where they do a drilling for an oil galley.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
24 Jul 2013 10:54 #598041 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Hairline Crack in Cylinder Head Temp Fix
If the 1100 Spectre is like the 750 Spectre that I have, it won't have the tach drive, it'll be an electric tach.

Did you try retorquing the head nuts like I suggested in your other thread? May as well try the easy thing first.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre