82 1000 clutch sliping in 3rd through 5th issues?

More
14 Jul 2013 11:41 #596414 by mppittman89
Alright i have a 82 1000,just replaced the clutches with ape extra friction set. It shifted fine for a little while after that but now it slips in 3rdrd through 5th if you gun it, but 1st and 2nd are there all the way. I scuffed all the steel plates to get the gloss of them when i changed them so i dont think that is the issue. The clutch lever is adjusted abouy 1/8 inch of play and i have not adjusted the puchrod inside the case ye. My main question is, will adjusting the pushrod take away the slip in my high geas or does anybody know what would cause this?

1978 kz650 Sr
1981 kz1000 csr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2013 12:10 #596422 by Patton

mppittman89 wrote: Alright i have a 82 1000,just replaced the clutches with ape extra friction set. It shifted fine for a little while after that but now it slips in 3rdrd through 5th if you gun it, but 1st and 2nd are there all the way. I scuffed all the steel plates to get the gloss of them when i changed them so i dont think that is the issue. The clutch lever is adjusted abouy 1/8 inch of play and i have not adjusted the puchrod inside the case ye. My main question is, will adjusting the pushrod take away the slip in my high geas or does anybody know what would cause this?

Hello, mppittman89, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

Push rod adjustment would probably resolve the slippage.

Clutch push rod adjustment -- Need and Purpose
[This is a 1 minute job from start to finish, maybe 2 minutes the first time.]

The FSM covering Z1 and KZ900 includes a periodic maintenance chart requiring clutch push rod adjustment at 2000 mile (3000 km) intervals and explains the need therefor in separate text, which explanation is quoted verbatim as follows:

Besides cable stretch, clutch plate wear also causes the clutch to go out of adjustment, with a decrease in push rod play. Due to this wear, the push rod gradually moves closer to the clutch release lever (at the lower end of the clutch cable) until it touches the adjusting screw. When the rod is touching the screw and therefore has no play, the clutch will not engage fully and clutch slippage will occur. Note that the clutch push rod does not necessarily have play just because the clutch hand lever has play, and so hand lever play alone cannot be used to determine whether or not the clutch requires adjustment.

The FSM covering '77-'79 KZ1000's includes a periodic maintenance chart requiring clutch adjustment at 5000 km intervals, and explains the need therefor in slightly different language, which explanation is quoted verbatim as follows:

Clutch plate wear also causes the clutch to go out of adjustment. This wear causes the play between the push rod and the adjusting screw to gradually diminish until the push rod touches the adjusting screw. When this play is lost, the clutch will not engage fully, causing the clutch to slip.
NOTE: Even though the proper amount of play exists at the clutch lever, clutch lever play alone cannot be used to determine whether or not the clutch requires adjustment.

end of excerpt

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
14 Jul 2013 12:14 #596424 by Patton

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
14 Jul 2013 14:34 #596451 by 650ed
What oil are you using? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)