1998 Kz1000p Timing

More
13 Jul 2013 17:28 #596317 by GJ750
1998 Kz1000p Timing was created by GJ750
Hi guys.

Complete newbie here...

I took the timing cover, all of the timing assemble apart to polish the covers. I thought it or does it just bolt back into place, no timing required?

Is it maybe cause i didn't overhaul motor or something, means it just bolts back in orig spot and should run fine?

i will keep on searching and searching..any help would be appreciated. I will learn this stuff if its the last thing i ever do....

Attachment DSC00495.JPG not found

Attachment DSC00497.JPG not found

Attachment DSC00496.JPG not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2013 18:04 #596322 by GJ750
Replied by GJ750 on topic 1998 Kz1000p Timing
So far I learned that it is electronic ignition. I can't find out if I need to set something or just bolt it right back inplace and ride.

its stock bike, no internal engine work this time, I probably turned the motor over after all this was removed. Its been 1 year on going project.

I wish I would have gotten the manual on it, however, to late now, I have to go out of usa in few days for long time. So I am in a bit of despair.

i really do want to learn to work on this, never thought i needed that manual.

Oh well, i have to push it back in and try to ride at least a little before i leave, blow up motor or not....Do or die at this point...lol

More
13 Jul 2013 19:25 #596332 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 1998 Kz1000p Timing
Put into your bookmarks, or favorites:

www.cyclepsycho.com/kz1000p/kz1000p.html

There's a hardened pin that other parts fit into, so if they don't go together easy, don't force them. Your mechanical advancer looks to need cleaning and lubrication. The larger false "Bolt" is designed to turn the engine over with a wrench, never use the smaller bolt, as it may break off inside the crankshaft, making for an expensive repair......

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
13 Jul 2013 19:51 #596337 by GJ750
Ok Mfolks, I lubed the parts as I found your statement in other searches.. Your everywhere man...lol

It all seems to just go together with no adjusting.

?? So I don't need to time it? I mean I took all the parts apart in side here over the past year, got back in usa and forget where it all went. It just all seems to go where is should, so I am still wondering do I need to time it?

if not, when do you time?

Thanks

More
13 Jul 2013 20:13 #596338 by GJ750
I found this Governor breaker part will go 2 ways? I pulled it to lube behind it, then pulled the two arms back and slide it into place(s). it will go upward facing or downward.

It was up today when i rode it, bike ran ok. I don't know where it was facing 1st time i removed it all over 1 year ago.

Will this hurt bike if I switch it around to see which runs bests?

Thanks
Attachments:

More
13 Jul 2013 20:20 #596340 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 1998 Kz1000p Timing
You might check the timing once in a while, but for the most part, it's "Set it and forget it". The mechanical advancer needs periodic cleaning & lubrication, but Kawasaki has used this type for many years. The IC igniter(a part that give the ignition coils their grounds, producing a spark)does fail once in a while, just like the stock ignition coils, overheating. A forum member "Loudhvx", has made a replacement IC Igniter using off the shelf GM ignition modules, so if your Igniter act up, you can build a replacement.

Here's a testing procedure for the ignitions Pick up, or Pulsing coils(not the ones under the tank):

Ohm Checking Pickup(Pulsing) Coils

The pickup coils on the Kawasaki’s with the factory supplied electronic ignition can sometimes fail or become intermittent due to heat and vibration.

1.Trace back from where the pick up coils are mounted,(under a right side CD sized cover) locate and disconnect a small 4 pin connector. Using a multi-meter set on OHMS and range of X 100 check between the BLUE and BLACK wires(#1 and #4 sparkplug wires) for between 360- 540 OHMS.

2.For #2 and #3 sparkplugs the wire colors will be YELLOW and RED, again 360-540 OHMS.

3.If the pickup coils are suspect of failing due to heat, they can be stressed using a hair dryer without the need of the engine running.

4.A replacement set of pickup coils might be obtained from a dealer who serviced the police Kawasaki’s.

5. If replacement pickup coils are not available, your next choice would be to order a Dyna “S” electronic ignition system from www.z1enterprises.com It replaces the IC igniter with a smaller module located where the mechanical ignition advancer was mounted.

6.Checking with Kawasaki.com website has determined that the Pick up(pulsing) coils are available . The pulsing coil # is 59026-1133 and replaces the older # 1002, 1012 which were used from the MKII motors until the 2005 P24.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
13 Jul 2013 20:31 #596342 by GJ750
Man I appreciate the last min help.

I cranked it and it runs fair. A bit sluggish on the throttle, but its not on fire or frozen up.

I am going to go try to ride it for 20mins, thats all the ride I will have gotten to do this entire year. Spent my month off working on it...I just want to hear the new gears and the wind run accross all the wax I put on flow over like a waterfall in the woods...lol

Thanks man,

Ah yea, I saved a ton of your stuff. Esp want to learn about soldering correctly. Crimping and all that...

thanks again.