Kz550a1 clutch issues?

More
12 Jul 2013 14:22 #596181 by 80kz550A1
Kz550a1 clutch issues? was created by 80kz550A1
Okay so I just replaced my clutch in my kz550 but I can't seem to adjust it correctly. I have the factory service manual and follow all instructions. One thing I am unsure of is when you adjust the screw on the side of the sprocket cover. It says turn in until it gets hard to turn then back off 1/2 turn. It doesn't seem to get hard to turn. I assumed this meant when you feel resistance so I did that. But with the bike on the center stand in first gear with the clutch in the tire still spins. Also with the clutch lever in on flat ground in first gear it feels like it wants to creep forward

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2013 15:53 - 12 Jul 2013 16:08 #596191 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Kz550a1 clutch issues?
Perhaps there's excessive slack in the clutch cable which could be removed by adjustment at the cable perch and at the mid-cable adjuster.

The cable should be adjusted so that only very slight movement when first squeezing the lever will take up the slack and push the end of the rod adjuster screw into contact with the push rod.

The remaining movement in fully squeezing the lever against the handlebar grip should be serving to disengage the clutch plates.

It's normal for the rear wheel to turn on the center stand when the engine's running, even if the clutch lever is fully squeezed, whether the transmission is in a gear or in neutral. But should be able to prevent it from spinning by holding it with your hand.

When replacing the clutch, were factory Kawasaki clutch plates fitted (and not some after-market plates)?

If the plain steel plates were re-fitted, were they checked to assure being truly flat and not warped (which could cause clutch drag despite correct adjustments of slack and push-rod)?

Am uncertain why the push rod adjustment screw doesn't seem to be meeting resistance when screwed in far enough to contact the push rod.

Could experiment by reversing the manual's directions about which way to turn the adjustment screw in order to lightly seat it, and also reversing the manual's directions about which way to turn the adjustment screw 1/2 turn in order to provide the gap that assures full engagement.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 12 Jul 2013 16:08 by Patton.

More
12 Jul 2013 16:26 #596202 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Kz550a1 clutch issues?
When you replaced the clutch did you use a torque wrench when tightening the clutch spring bolts, and if so, what was the torque spec you used? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
13 Jul 2013 12:25 - 13 Jul 2013 12:28 #596295 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Kz550a1 clutch issues?
If the motor is actually later than a 1980 A1, the adjustment will be different from the FSM instructions for 1980.

Do you know for sure which type of adjuster you have? There are two types: a helical-throwout, and a ball-ramp.

The early type is a helical-throwout. Later is the ball-ramp.

The helical actuator is described in the white base manual starting on page 22 (29 of the pdf).
The ball ramp type is described in the white base manual on page 319 (326 of the pdf).
There is a link to the white base manual, (and several others), in my signature.

There is also a description for the pushrod adjustment in my signature for the ball-ramp type, showing how it is laid out pictorially.
Last edit: 13 Jul 2013 12:28 by loudhvx.

More
21 Jul 2013 15:15 #597566 by 80kz550A1
Replied by 80kz550A1 on topic Kz550a1 clutch issues?
my bike is a 1980a1 says made is 1979 on the frame sticker.. got it fixed i think now.