Scoring on cylinder

More
10 Jul 2013 13:01 #595825 by geohaydook1
Scoring on cylinder was created by geohaydook1
Okay,
I pulled the cylinders off of my 750E to repair a stripped out tensioner bolt hole. When I did I found some scoring in the #3 cylinder and on the piston as well. The scoring on the piston is barely visible, but I can feel it when I run my finger across it. The scoring on the cylinder is visible to the naked eye. What I need to know is:
1. How did this happen?
2.Can the cylinder be saved with a good honing? And what about the piston?
3. If I have to do an over-bore, should I do all four? That could be pricey, and I'm on a budget.

Every time I turn around, this project gets more and more expensive. :pinch: By the time I get done, I'm going to have a $5000.00 KZ750! :lol:
Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm feeling very frustrated.

1980 KZ750e
1981 KZ650 csr (fate undecided)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
10 Jul 2013 14:35 #595829 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic Scoring on cylinder
scoring may be due to contaminated oil or debris thru plug hole or mechanical falure like rings breaking, id inspect the skirt of the pistons also.

only a machine shop can tell you for certain if its a light honing clean up or it needs bored to the next size, if so youll need pistons and rings and you only wanna replace them as a set.

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
10 Jul 2013 14:41 #595832 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Scoring on cylinder
How about some pictures ? Are the rings stuck in the pistons grooves.
Any measurements taken you can share ?
Would love to be able to tell you to give it a lite hone and rering it , but Im working in the dark. :whistle:
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
10 Jul 2013 16:02 #595842 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Scoring on cylinder
Is it possible a previous owner ran the bike without an air filter? I know it may sound odd, but I have seen some folks on this site running with no air filtration at all - just open carbs or open velocity stacks. If that happened a bit of grit or small piece of gravel could have been sucked into the cylinder. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 Jul 2013 17:25 - 10 Jul 2013 17:27 #595856 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Scoring on cylinder

geohaydook1 wrote: Okay,
The scoring on the piston is barely visible, but I can feel it when I run my finger across it. The scoring on the cylinder is visible to the naked eye.

Less scoring on the piston (which is aluminum) and worse scoring on the cylinder wall which is steel. Indicates the scoring agent is "attached" to the piston and the scoring on the piston occurred from rubbing against the scored cylinder wall. Sounds like it's "ring related" like a broken ring or some crud wedged into the rings.

Is the scoring evenly distributed around the bore or mainly in a narrow area?

The depth of the scoring determines if it can be honed out. More than a couple of thou and you really need to bore it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 10 Jul 2013 17:27 by bountyhunter.

More
10 Jul 2013 19:08 #595870 by geohaydook1
Replied by geohaydook1 on topic Scoring on cylinder
Sorry, but the damage doesn't show up on my camera, so no pics. And I have no snap gauge to measure it with, so we're still in the dark.

1980 KZ750e

More
10 Jul 2013 19:12 #595872 by geohaydook1
The only history I have on the bike is the previous owner put the motor together and never started it.And so far, everything he touched, he f**ked up. He even broke the carburators while "rebuilding" them. Argh.

1980 KZ750e

More
10 Jul 2013 19:16 #595874 by geohaydook1
The rings appear to be ok. The scoring is limited to a 10mm "stripe" down the front of the cylinder.

1980 KZ750e

More
10 Jul 2013 20:28 #595885 by geohaydook1
Does anyone have a good set of pistons and jugs they want to part with?

1980 KZ750e

More
10 Jul 2013 21:32 - 10 Jul 2013 21:35 #595895 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Scoring on cylinder
You answered my question before I asked it ! :laugh:

The scoring is limited to a 10mm "stripe" down the front of the cylinder

That scoring is on the thrust face, and is normal.

Imagine the piston is at bottom dead center, as the crank rotates and pushes the piston up, it pushes the piston toward the front because of the angle of the connecting rod, and the skirt contacts the cylinder wall.

I have seen some motors without the scuffing, and I think the difference is probably oil related, as in change interval and/or oil quality, but I can't prove anything.

Put it back together, worst case is excessive oil consumption, but maybe you can live with it till you have the bucks available for a Wiseco 810 kit :P

Edit:
The Kawasaki twins rotate backwards from the fours, so the scuffing occurs on the back of the cylinders.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 10 Jul 2013 21:35 by steell.

More
11 Jul 2013 11:28 #595977 by geohaydook1
Steell,
So I should just hone the cylinder, button it back up, and save up for an 810 kit?

1980 KZ750e

More
11 Jul 2013 12:01 #595983 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic Scoring on cylinder
That sounds like pretty good advice. If you can hone out the scratches in a couple passes, you should be in good shape. Be careful with reassembly, yhe oil sweeper rings are easy to collapse if you try to cut corners or go too fast. After break-in, check the plugs and compression. Put away your paper route money for a few months and you should be all set :-)

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike