Top end oil leak

More
08 Jul 2013 21:16 #595607 by johninwi
Top end oil leak was created by johninwi
Hi everyone,
I have a 77 KZ650B1 with 128K on it and I drove it off the show room floor. Just a little history on the old girl, I finally had to take her down at 111K and do some work. Didn't have to do much, rings, valve job, starter clutch and a few minor parts otherwise the rest is still virgin material.
Just recently I developed an oil leak. The oil is pushing up from the cylinder stud on number 1 outside rear. Do you think it is leaking from the rubber O ring that is between the cylinder studs?
Looking for some help before I pull the head.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2013 21:31 #595608 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Top end oil leak
Wow; another original 1977 KZ650 owner! Welcome aboard; there aren't many of us around. Regarding the leak, if you clean the cylinder head / cylinder joint really well you may be able to tell after a ride if oil is weeping from the center of the joint (see yellow arrow) or from an area near the rear of the engine. If it is weeping from the center it may just be the o-ring. Is yours just weeping a little or is it actually dripping after a ride? Ed

Attachment 00000_2013-07-08.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
08 Jul 2013 23:38 #595627 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Top end oil leak
At 128,000 miles by all odds every oring should be leaking like 126,000 miles back, so you are lucky if this is the first one. The place Ed mentions is that oval oring that is notorious for leaking. I don't think any orings on the studs themselves ever cause problem. Main leaks are this oring, the tach drive, oring between the cylinder and cases, orings between the pan and cases, orings to seal the covers for the transmission gear assm, of course the cam end plugs. These are just the main ones. Kawasaki used a lot of rubber orings, and all get old, and get old faster with heat and miles and will leak. High mileage to keep leak free is an ongoing battle to say the least. This your first leak?
The old 77 I ride now I just wear old clothes and my legs get oily change jeans every day is easier. OK, don't mean to degrade the question any further. Chances are what Ed says is correct. :)

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
09 Jul 2013 21:28 #595750 by johninwi
Replied by johninwi on topic Top end oil leak
Ed,
I have traced it down and it is coming up around the head bolt just to the right of your arrow and it comes out at a good rate after she is warmed up. Still think it is the oval o ring in the center?

More
09 Jul 2013 21:32 #595751 by johninwi
Thanks, Maybe I am lucky but I replaces all seals and gaskets when I took it apart a few years back but never had any leaks up till then and this is the first.

More
09 Jul 2013 22:47 #595770 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Top end oil leak

johninwi wrote: Ed,
I have traced it down and it is coming up around the head bolt just to the right of your arrow and it comes out at a good rate after she is warmed up. Still think it is the oval o ring in the center?

Hard to say, maybe not though. After you ran the engine some did you let it cool down and re-torque the head? If not, that might be worth a try before pulling the head. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 Jul 2013 23:03 #595920 by johninwi
Ed, yes I did re-torque the head and it has been three years and just a few weeks ago it started leaking.

More
14 Jul 2013 21:05 #596515 by johninwi
Well everyone I pulled the head of today and have ordered new head gasket. o rings.
Hope this cures the problem.

More
24 Jul 2013 23:37 #598156 by johninwi
Well Ed I got it back together tonight and it still leaks right up the #1 outside rear cylinder stud. Replaced O rings, head gasket. don't know what to do now.

More
08 Sep 2013 21:30 #605601 by shadow44
Replied by shadow44 on topic Top end oil leak
:unsure:

Well what did you do to fix it? I have the exact same problem on my 76 kz900. Oil coming up around both front outside head bolts, All new gaskets and orings.. got it tore back apart, not sure what to do now.... :blink: :blink: :blink:

Remember, the government can not give you anything they have not first, taken from someone else.