750csr twin exhaust to open headers

More
28 Jun 2013 23:53 #594299 by Daryl
Here's a question for the modders... I bought an 82 750 twin (csr) from a guy that said he had the baffles taken out of the mufflers and then had the carbs re-jetted. I believe this to be the case as the baffles do not appear to be present in the mufflers and the bike shows no signs of running rich or lean. Recently, the crappy welds that are holding the mufflers on have been cracking and causing serious exhaust leaks and a few pops on deceleration. I also just noticed this morning that the cross over pipe is cracked where it meets the exhaust pipes.

My question is... Since my plan is to run straight pipes on it anyways, would it be hurting anything to cancel out the crossover pipe and just run a straight pipe set-up which would allow me to get rid of the welding mess created by whomever worked on it last? What effect could that have on the scavenging and equalizing (I'm assuming that's what it's for)? And should I consider welding a small washer in the pipes toward the back to give it just a smidge of back pressure?

I'm going to end up playing with the jets anyhow as I plan to put pod filters and a carb brace on to allow for easier back-half re-construction as this was purchased for a cheap bobber project, but for now I need to make sure the exhaust isn't going to fall off on me while I'm riding through a corner or something.

I've done this before with other bikes, but this is my first venture into the KZ world. So, I thought it best to ask those in the know and maybe save myself some headaches or at least get a heads up. Thanks in advance.

Daryl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2013 01:07 #594304 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 750csr twin exhaust to open headers
Trying to achieve proper tuning of those CV carbs with pods and straight pipes will be quite a challenge. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/406129-z80...ing?start=180#594267

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daryl

More
29 Jun 2013 03:45 #594310 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 750csr twin exhaust to open headers

Daryl wrote: My question is... Since my plan is to run straight pipes on it anyways, would it be hurting anything to cancel out the crossover pipe and just run a straight pipe

I read the crossover pipe increases low RPM torque. Not exactly sure how it affects jetting.

Daryl wrote:
I'm going to end up playing with the jets anyhow as I plan to put pod filters

As 650ed said, this will really screw things up.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
29 Jun 2013 12:39 #594342 by Daryl
Replied by Daryl on topic 750csr twin exhaust to open headers
Thanks for the heads up. From what I understand, the carbs are the same as on the xs650 Yamaha. I've been party to a few of those bikes getting pods and re-jetting. I can't imagine it should be that much different. I hear that there is a constant airflow issue with pods on the KZ's. Since it's just a twin, should I develop a problem, I can fabricate some shields to act as and intake buffer or construct my own airbox that's much more manageable than the stock one with the boots that get stiff and difficult.

I am more concerned with what effect chopping off the mufflers and crossover will have at the moment, but I will definitely dig further into the carb situation before I go changing anything along those lines.