Idea for pulling dents from header.

More
08 Jul 2013 19:56 #595602 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Idea for pulling dents from header.
Well I tried this method and I think it pushed the dents out a bit BUT it also pushed the pipes way out of line and cracked the collector right where the four pipes meet! I would like to freeze it one more time but am afraid too. I wrestled with it and got it bolted up to an old head. I think I will heat them up good with a torch. Hopefully after it cools they will stay in place.
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2013 11:39 #595662 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Idea for pulling dents from header.
That's pretty clever, but I could definitely see it causing splits like that. I guess it's a bit easier to weld up a split though, so perhaps an imrpovement?

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
09 Jul 2013 14:20 #595690 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Idea for pulling dents from header.
The split is not a big deal at all. The big deal is that all the head pipes moved out of place. Just like if you do a bunch of welding move on you. I should have bolted the head on before freezing being I have an old one.
Wayne

Del_Herring wrote: That's pretty clever, but I could definitely see it causing splits like that. I guess it's a bit easier to weld up a split though, so perhaps an imrpovement?

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

More
09 Jul 2013 17:46 #595724 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Idea for pulling dents from header.
We used to do the freezer thing all the time will expansion chambers on two stroke dirt bikes, I guess I didnt get here in time to caution you about the cracking. If you keep a close eye on it, you can get it out of the freezer at the right time to prevent the spliting. maybe get an appropriatly sized inflatable plug like plumbers use, then you could shove it in past the collector, and inflate it with a long air chuck.

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.